Looking for a kit

I tend to think perhaps the kit I would want does not exist. I'd love to build a kit of the S/Y Fritha, a Murray Peterson designed 57 foot hermaphrodite brig that is presently sailing the eastern seaboard of the United States. I have the plans, directly from the designer's son's office and my favourite scale 1:1 is where I hope to end up as a retirement project but in the meantime, I anticipate learning a lot from a kit. I've never scratch built so a kit would be nice. Otherwise.... how hard is it to build from scratch when you have all the original plans and access to the architect who owns them?

Thanks,
Daniel

The most challenging (and rewarding) part about building from scratch is that there are no instructions. You have to figure out what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. You have to think far ahead to understand how something you do now might affect what you need to do in the future. The best plans in the world won't help with that. Having experience in building kits is helpful, of course, but you may be surprised at just how different the experience is when you have to go it alone just from a set of plans. If you want to try scratch building, I'd suggest starting with a very simple boat so you can really get a feel for what it takes. Don't forget as well, that you won't have any pre-cut parts. You're bound to need dimensioned lumber that isn't available unless you can mill it yourself. Scratch building is great fun and highly rewarding, but it's certainly not easy.

Cheers -

John

The idea is that I plan to build her full scale at some point. To be honest, I've already started making bits and pieces that will one day be part of the boat. I think a kit or maybe scratch built model will help me visualize the process that will be required when I build full sized. I have a pretty good idea of how to go about it but having a model will help I suspect. Maybe a kit isn't the way to go after all....

Amortized over the next twenty years. There are pieces I can (and have) started but yes, it will be an expensive project. It will be a home, a travel means, a way to relax and practice my sailorly skills etc. As for a fixed cost, I have no idea. It will depend on how much of the work I can't do myself and how much scrounging I can do successfully. I hope to do most of the work myself with the help of my brothers and friends. Scrounging.... I'm always open to donations of suitable hardware, material etc. :)  She's a proven ocean capable design and I have purchased the plans for the architect. They come with a moderate amount of consultation from his office as required. I've been sailing my whole life and have a pretty good idea of what I want. While she's a large complex build, I don't expect to build her to fine yacht finish standards. More like clean high end workboat finish. As a retirement project between now and the time I retire as well as any more time required to complete her once I am retired, I hope to sail her one day. Otherwise, I'll just keep working at her. The project of building her is a part of the dream and purchasing "off the shelf" just isn't possible with these types of boats. A sister ship recently sold but there are only a few of these boats in existence. If I want one, I'll never be able to afford to have one built so I'll have to build her myself over a protracted period of time. Modern tools and methods of construction will help me speed things along I hope.