Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza by marktiedens - FINISHED - OcCre - scale 1:46

On 4/24/2018 at 1:39 AM, marktiedens said:

Hi everyone - more progress! Fist, the anchor davits were made from the supplied wood - the simulated sheaves were formed with a small round file after drilling the holes. Then the openings were made in the bulwarks & the davits were glued in place along with the knees. Next, I thought it would be a good time to do the roundhouses. The parts list showed them as pre-formed pieces,but darned if I could find them,so I made them from a walnut dowel cut in half & added some brass eyelets from the fabric shop. Finally the mouldings were added - they were made from some leftover brass moulding from another buildDSCF0002.JPG.2b53ec20410289dff8eaf798bc494492.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.852c68d9e5491ceabac37307347fa966.JPG

The caprails were then made from the supplied wood(sapelli). Since this wood is 2x12mm it was pretty much impossible to bend around the tight curves. The tightly curved areas were done by cutting small pieces to go around the curves,then after a lot of filing & sanding the joints they were painted black. You can see the joints in the close-up,but at arm`s length they look just fine. I think they pass the running horse test:D.

DSCF0001.JPG.5158c338889b31ab1aa9ca23a01b59d4.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.7a4f018c952f7ae7c9431787237f4460.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG.0cbd67ca571eac2d6dc2c5eda291c6bb.JPG

Mark

Mark

Hello Mark, currently I also build the Nuestra Senora Pilar. I use your absolut fantastic work as inspitation and guide for me!! May I ask from  manufacturer the color is which you use? Peter

Peter,  Mark recently passed away I'm sad to say.  Do a seach on the Nuestra Senora Pilar using the search feature and see who else has built it.  They may have used the same paint.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)