AL San Fran II or Constructo Bounty

Spellapeaka

So my next build I am torn between these 2 kits. Any input on which would be better, I have built AL kits before and are aware of the issues. I really like the look and challenge of these 2 ships so my next build will likely be one of them. Any opinions on either kit is welcome.

Thank you.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Current Build: The Harvey

Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat

I'd say, go with the one that interests YOU the most.  You'll enjoy it more, do a better job, and also raise your chances of finishing it by at least a magnitude of probability.  If you build one that we talk you into and it's not in your heart...it won't be any of those things.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have only done the SFII, but Mark is right, do the one that moves you most. If you are familiar with Al kits then you understand the shortcomings. I figure any of them are decent for either building as instructed and getting a fine looking ship, or bashing the heck out of and getting a fine looking ship; the results are the same, and remember you as the modeler are the only one you have to please.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I too am in the midst of the AL San Francisco. It is a fine ship but it does have its issues just as Shaz said. I like this ship a lot however and it is one of the biggest reasons I chose it over dozens and dozens of other possibilities. Like the first two respondents said, go with your interests first... and I'll add one more criteria to consider... challenge yourself beyond where you think you are skill-wise... that makes it even more fun! :)

Thank you for the insites, i will probly go with the SFII, love both of the ships though. Was kind of wonder ing if the bpunty by constructo was a better quality than al. From what i can see i think both kit makers have short comings so. Thank you.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Current Build: The Harvey

Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat

I personally have not had any dealing with Constructo other than seeing some build logs so someone else will have to speak of the quality of parts and instructions etc.

Two things I notice however between these 2 ships... the bounty is a double hull while the SF II is a single. Seeing as this is my first ship... ever... I didn't know nor appreciate the difference.

Also, from websites i saw the bounty is more than twice the cost of the SF II. While cost doesn't convey quality... in all things.... it might mean better brass fittings and such. The SF II extras were okay, maybe even better than that at times but not stellar. Look for a build log of the constructo bounty for more info.

Either way... have fun!

Spellapeaka,

I have no experience building any constructo models but I can speak on AL.  I am also building the SF 2 and it sounds like you are aware of the issues with the instructions.  What I can say is that it is a great kit for bashing.  If you look at all of the builds in progress, (Shaz, Me, Lamar, DesertWolf, Msberkman, etc) you will notice that all of us have bashed the kit in one way or another, (double-planked vs single-planked, staining, basing misc, parts, cherry vs. mahogany, etc.)  I think the fact that the kit has so many possibilities and it is a fictitious model, it opens the doors for creativity.  

Honestly the short comings of the instructions are made up double fold by the experience here and the simultaneous builds of the SF2.  It has been great for me to have Robbyn, Lamar, and others to get opinions and wisdom from, especially since they are just going through the same obstacles as I am.

-Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Lamar,

Thanks, this is really interesting.  In my experience I have read both sides that it is a fictitious ship and it is a real ship.  Seems like this person really did thier homework.

-Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Well, I have no experience with either ship, but my question is if you have already built the HMS Bounty Jolly Boat, why would you not want to take it a bit further and build the actual HMS Bounty. I only ask because I assume (one of my downfalls) you may have done a little research on the Jolly and that would give you a bit of a head start on the Bounty. I know the scales won't match, but it would be good to dive deeper beyond what you have learned doing the Jolly. Just something to consider. 

-Craig

It's never too late to turn the tide...

Current Build- King of the Mississippi- Artesania Latina- 1:80 Scale