Charles W Morgan by geoffs - Artesania Latina - scale 1:50 - First Wooden Ship Build

Well I'm settled enough in my new place to get started on a build. I'll call this my first build as any experience I have had, was a long. long time ago.

Model is about 35 years old (guesstimate) of the Charles W Morgan my Artesania Latina. This model was donated a couple of years ago to the Living Boat Trust, I group of which I'm a member. The LBT maintain and occasionally build, wooden boats in Franklin, Tasmania.

box.thumb.jpg.b1363f5c752eade76976e13895f1221d.jpg

Bulkheads are router cut. Not sure if this would have been CNC given the age of the model.

bulkheads.thumb.jpg.e452b67fff716c8be8c077b125796695.jpg

DIe cut parts, no lasers here!

sheets.thumb.jpg.11ebee47911d23f04eddf98e001364bb.jpg

sheets1.thumb.jpg.218f3e65aa9b62fa910d2de281009a7a.jpg

Lots of little plastic bags. I've got some partitioned containers to put these in.

fittings1.thumb.jpg.b556ce6f47ab3750d950be8e4f2250c8.jpgfittings2.thumb.jpg.fdf0ee027c0c1b9ea626b876d0c86a6b.jpgfittings3.thumb.jpg.cadd5bc73c4e32ed7ce73c01768f75ae.jpgfittings4.thumb.jpg.d9a4a2a73c72120fe809e8d6d545bad6.jpg

I think I have the necessary tools assemled. I just need to make up a board on which to build it and maybe a keel clamp  - I have some aluminium extrusion and 3D printed clamps for that.

Don't pull up a chair just yet, this could take a while!

Regards

Geoff

Kits awaiting build: Charles W. Morgan [Artesania Latina], Skuldelev Viking [Billings], Lyde [Euromodel]

• 1 year later...

Geoff,

I wonder if you could please help me out with a problem.

I am in the process of building this model and have damaged the first 3 sheets of the drawings - the other 3 plans are fine.

Is there any chance you could take some pictures of these plans and forward to me so I can continue with the model. There is not enough information in the instructions alone to progress.

Your assistance appreciated

Dave

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Geoff, . . . Or anyone that has built this model ! ! !

Stumbled upon this website while doing research on a recently inherited model, The Charles W. Morgan. I see you started the build a few years ago. How goes the progress? Have you completed it? If so, a few pictures of it would be greatly appreciated Sir.

I received this model partially started. By that I mean the hull has been started. It looks like the shiplap, (?), boards are almost done. I think everything is there from my first inventory checking. Guess I really won't know until I start constructing this magnificent ship.

Any "first-timer" tips you might want to share? I've never built anything like this before. Really no experience beyond the standard car/ship/plane models as a kid. The typical plastic type.

I am an experienced woodworker / furniture builder that, hopefully, will help me with this. Your thoughts on this please.

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanking you in advance,

-Dorald-

Edited by dorald
add to the TO field , spelling error

• 2 months later...

I have been building this same kit for many years

i built the frame and then it sat for decade or more

continuing now and have just completed second plank down to the waterline where I will put copper tape 

likely start a build log soon

just joined so need to figure that out 

• 1 year later...