1:60 Corel Réale de France

schiffebastler

Hello,
since I haven't found the Réale de France model kit from Corel in this list yet, I would like to present it here. 

Regards, Joachim

Manufacturer: Corel 
Model: Réale de France
Materials: Various types of wood, such as plywood, ramin, lime, walnut, and various others.
as well as castings, gold-plated ornaments, metal strips, etched sheets, various rigging yarns, etc.
Scale: 1:60, length 1060mm, width 670mm
Price: around 699,00 EUR, sometimes more
Provider: many relevant shops

Impressions of material and plans:

The materials are predominantly shrink-wrapped in plastic films/bags, but not on tension, so that no tension of the materials occurs. Many wooden parts are already prefabricated, but the real work remains with the model builder and he can reveal his quality without restrictions. The materials are very versatile and extensive. 

Building plans:
There are 15 DIN-A1/A2 plans available. All components are shown in their original size and in their position in the model. The construction plans are very detailed and excellently worked out in every way. The accompanying description booklet is available in 4 languages, 18 pages for each language version. In addition to the description of the actual construction, various tips for the construction, the handling of the gold sculptures, suggestions for artificial aging, and much more are given.

Evaluation of quality:

All in all, the construction kit makes a very high-quality impression. The gold-plated ornaments are well worked out for a model kit. The various types of wood are of good quality, are not frayed and make a good visual impression.
For the creation of the dinghy a core is provided, over which the spanners are pulled and planked. However, this dinghy does not correspond exactly to the original. Also missing is the second boat contained in the original plans.
The etched brass sheets are very fine, detailed and precisely worked out. All flags are printed on very fine fabric. A fabric appropriate to the model size was also used for the enclosed sails.

Apart from the plans, most of the fittings, ornaments, anchors, flags and artillery have also been reproduced historically. Apart from a handful of blocks for example, the usual standard parts were not used. Only the dinghy seems to be a 'standard model'.

Valuation with regard to "historical accuracy":To check the "historical correctness" I obtained and compared the plans of the ship from the Naval Museum in Paris. Corel's plans correspond in almost every detail to those of Paris. Only a few details have been slightly modified with regard to model building.
Furthermore, I have procured from Wolfram Mondfeld "The galley from the Middle Ages to modern times". This book contains detailed plans of the French réale "La Dracène" from the same period. These plans also largely coincide with those of the Réale de France.
In the fuselage shape of the kit there are differences to the Fleur-de-Lis. Its planned record is based on a historical description for a standard galley with a precisely defined procedure.
Although it is not possible to say for sure what the Réale de France really looked like in detail, the model makes a good impression. 

Overall conclusion:
It is a construction kit of selected quality. Good materials were predominantly used. 
Although the construction plans are extremely comprehensive and the description is easy to understand and detailed, the construction kit is by no means recommended for beginners. The variety of materials, the size and the attention to detail require practice and experience in model making in order to produce an appropriate model of the highest quality.

IMGP0786.thumb.JPG.2d0ac384086c7662d017e406aebf3d5c.JPG

IMGP0787.thumb.JPG.c96ebff99c158ea32e05c7d8ace5540c.JPG

IMGP0790.thumb.JPG.ac41b1496611e7ba4566da8e6230e54d.JPG

IMGP0792.thumb.JPG.739c88c73bd783b2def51f05957af7da.JPG

IMGP0793.thumb.JPG.f3bc4207daa80c49583575842db1c9ee.JPG

IMGP0795.thumb.JPG.23fe3c14ed02009e5a59e7d292c8cf9e.JPG

IMGP0798.thumb.JPG.bab3755033a44513fc909dfa928a38d2.JPG

IMGP0803.thumb.JPG.ca6aea4ef74d6adef9c73308fbffbe53.JPG

IMGP0804.thumb.JPG.743c03bd72ac1cea162db3e510e8b811.JPG

IMGP0805.thumb.JPG.faebbe90882205dcff63301dec786e68.JPG

IMGP0806.thumb.JPG.8ccafa21a67b6363aaa3ff7d1b339efd.JPG

IMGP0807.thumb.JPG.d8a412e258a8e4ded124234a54de8b44.JPG

IMGP0809.thumb.JPG.e6d1c2a23491cfbb4590d634e31f1210.JPG

IMGP0810.thumb.JPG.5e05cdc91f701055f523f00b74c0d885.JPG

IMGP0811.thumb.JPG.b84c6be2ec7f5ac984e16f9e6f894299.JPG

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Hi @Hubac's Historian

as I wrote in the carving techniques, I intend to build the Reale from scratch with a new plan.

Since the Corel model is otherwise a quite good model kit, I have introduced it here.

Regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Well, that will be a very interesting project, indeed!  Later, when I have a minute, I will write a bit, in the “carving techniques” thread, about my personal approach to scale carving - which is quite new to me, but I have found it to be as effective as carving in full-size.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.