[BEGINNER] Schooner Vega: help me read these plans

Im brand new to model ships and have bought a ”schooner Vega” from billing boats. I dont understand planking at all but ive read the guide thats on here... however, these plans are a bit hard to read to a beginner like me. It looks like you cut off two tops in step #6 then again in #9 but in order to get the floor base on I have to cut off every single top but then how are the planks gonna stay in place. They’re not stuck to anything in step #11 and forward. How am I supposed to stick the top planks to the frame?v1U0Ddl.jpgvZkXvPQ.jpg

Edited by Matt_the_dude

I'm certainly no expert in these matters, and I am sure others will wade in with more informed opinion to correct me where I am wrong. First up, Matt, allow me to just roll my lap-top over onto its' side in order to read these pics a little better ...

From what I can see, they are NOT telling you to remove the tops of the frames at Step#6 .... it appears to me that all that instruction is telling you is to fair the forward face of the upright section, in order that your plank will sit against that upright as it curves around and into the bow and rabbet. You DON'T want to bend your planks around a 90 degree upright, where it will only touch the wood in one spot. You will pare/sand that face down to give your planks the maximum amount to hold onto. Look carefully at Step #8 and Step#9 ... that upright is still there.

It is only AFTER your planking has been shaped and fitted to all of the uprights and after the glue has completely set, that you will then remove all of those uprights. 

I'll leave the floor open to those with more knowledge ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Steve gave good advise on this, but I'll add to it.

If I understand this, you'll need to pre-bend (using water and some heat like a curling iron or electric plank bender) the planks and then "edge glue" the planks to each other.  As for the decks, it appears that they will be secured to the tops of the bulkheads and some of the structural pieces.  I think as you start building, some of these things will be clearer.  Is there any written instructions?   Billing's used to include some shall we say, rather sparse written instructions but also some info like like edge gluing.

I recommend you start a build log in the Kit area.   It will do a couple of things... it will aid in getting you help as we can see how you're building this model and also it will help anyone else who builds it.   By all means, photos so we can look over your shoulder.   If you hit a stumbling block, pause, ask about the problem and then be a bit patient as we're a global site and not everyone gets on line at the same time or the even the same day.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I recommend you start a build log in the Kit area.   It will do a couple of things... it will aid in getting you help as we can see how you're building this model and also it will help anyone else who builds it. 

I think I’ll do that! The thing is... if I glue the planks to those top bulkheads thingies how am I gonna cut them off then?🤔

24 minutes ago, Matt_the_dude said:

I think I’ll do that! The thing is... if I glue the planks to those top bulkheads thingies how am I gonna cut them off then?🤔

You don't really need to glue them at all against the bulkheads, just edge glue one to the next. If you feel you have to glue them, just tack them- use as little glue as possible in one spot which will make it easy to pull the bulkhead piece off later without damage.

And this is a standard convention with plank on bulkhead ships, the upper parts of the bulkheads are just temporary forms for the bulkhead planking. Which itself will then probably be planked a second time from the inside.