HHardacre

Gidday Harry and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

I would suggest you search through the build logs. Here you may find answers to any questions you have. If not you have certainly found a site where the members have a wealth of knowledge and vast expertise. I have not had experience with your kit but I am hopeful you will find some advice here.

I wish you all the best in your build.

Mark.

5 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday Harry and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

I would suggest you search through the build logs. Here you may find answers to any questions you have. If not you have certainly found a site where the members have a wealth of knowledge and vast expertise. I have not had experience with your kit but I am hopeful you will find some advice here.

I wish you all the best in your build.

Mark.

Good morning from a sunny UK mate, thanks for the welcome,, 

yes been looking through some of the write-ups, found some very useful information there, looking forward to my build, will keep members updated, thank you again, and have a good’n Mark. 

The material that binds wood fibers - lignin - is not water soluble.  It is soluble in anhydrous ammonia, an explosive and dangerous industrial agent.

It is not soluble in household (5%) or 20%  ammonia. These just damage the planking.  Heat will loosen lignin and allow for more bending.  

Water on the surface of the wood - when contacted by a dry heat source - becomes steam and penetrates the wood with more efficiency than just dry heat alone.  A microwave and wet paper towel wrapping,   or direct steam  will work.  Soaking in hot water works - but sort of reverses the original seasoning process a bit.  Ideal is to let the bent wood dry in its future conformation.  If you dry in an over bent conformation, try to keep that at a slight amount.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

16 minutes ago, Jaager said:

The material that binds wood fibers - lignin - is not water soluble.  It is soluble in anhydrous ammonia, an explosive and dangerous industrial agent.

It is not soluble in household (5%) or 20%  ammonia. These just damage the planking.  Heat will loosen lignin and allow for more bending.  

Water on the surface of the wood - when contacted by a dry heat source - becomes steam and penetrates the wood with more efficiency than just dry heat alone.  A microwave and wet paper towel wrapping,   or direct steam  will work.  Soaking in hot water works - but sort of reverses the original seasoning process a bit.  Ideal is to let the bent wood dry in its future conformation.  If you dry in an over bent conformation, try to keep that at a slight amount.

Hiya Jaager, thanks for that, very informative, i will give the soaking a try, the planking is very thin and seems to bend very easy, the thing is, the first three planks have to bend and twist, at the bow and stern, being a Viking ship, as you know are both pointed,,, but you have given me some good ideas now, and forthat I thank you.

regards.

Harry. 

If the bend in the thick dimension proves difficult - wood does not readily comply to doing that -  start with a wider plank and spill it to the up curve.

Spill = spoil = waste a lot of wood cutting an "S" shape.  That is how it was really done - mostly.  The database here has planking tutorials the explain all this.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

5 minutes ago, Jaager said:

If the bend in the thick dimension proves difficult - wood does not readily comply to doing that -  start with a wider plank and spill it to the up curve.

Spill = spoil = waste a lot of wood cutting an "S" shape.  That is how it was really done - mostly.  The database here has planking tutorials the explain all this.

7 minutes ago, Jaager said:

Yes mate having a good look at the data base for any help.

Harry

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)