Adapter to allow saw blades for a 1/2" spindle to fit on a Proxxon

I would like to buy a Byrnes saw blade of .030 kerf to use with a Proxxon FET table saw. The only trouble is that his saw blades are for a 1/2" spindle and the Proxxon uses one of 10mm. Jim has told me that he only makes adapters to go to 1".

I have seen an adapter in MicroMark for $6.50 that will do this, but as that is based in the USA and the shipping for that alone to the UK is $18.50, the price would be exorbitant for such a simple and small adapter.

So my question is whether anyone knows of such an adapter in the UK (or perhaps Europe) that would make such an adapter. My search on the web so far has not turned up anything.

Or is this something I could make? I don't think I have the tools to do it -- I imagine a lathe would be necessary.

The reason, by the way, is to make 0.8mm gratings. At present my saw blades are 0.6mm, 1.1mm and 1.2mm. I haven't seen a method of making gratings with an under-sized blade, but if you know of a method of doing this then please let me know.

Any advice or suggestions welcome!

Tony

Tony,

You brought up a good question, because of where you are location. We in the US at times have the same problem, we see something in the UK but because of the shipping it isn't really worth it. The only answer I can think of is maybe someone can get it here and ship it to you, but then what would the shipping be? Micro-Mark sells stuff that is hard to find but the shipping is what kills you. Is there a machine shop in the UK that could maybe make it for you, or do you know someone with a metal lathe that could do it for you. Maybe someone here can come up with a better answer than I just gave you. The shipping is what kills everyone in this hobby, that is why after awhile people buy a milling machine and lathe or one or the other and then you be surprise at all the things you can make yourself. I have the same table saw a you but I bought the item that you are talking about way before I got my machines. Hope someone can come up with a better answer for your question.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Hmm, Wacko (I like the sound of that more than Joe, and hope no offence taken). Might just be a good excuse to buy a lathe. Costs a bit more than the shipping, but maybe if I put long term costs to the Admiral for budget approval....

Thanks, though, for the suggestions. It was the shipping and import costs that put the Byrnes machine out of reach for me. But I really do like the Proxxon, and I have gradually become more adept at using it. I'm now down to doing 1.6mm strips of 0.5mm walnut without a problem, and probably will manage smaller. It's what made me think of doing gratings as I am a bit dissatisfied with the main grating on my ship at the moment.

Tony

Hi Tony, I dont know if it will be of any help, but I have a Byrnes saw and the prices of blades from across the pond are as you know expensive. What I have done is obtained HSS Slitting blades from EBAY there seems to be a varied amount. I have purchased some 3" 1/64 kerf 150 tooth blades for less than £10.00 .There might be something that fits a Proxxon saw there. Hope it helps.

Martin. 

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

Ebay's a good idea, Martin, and I'll certainly look there.

It's the adapter I need, though, to fit blades from other manufacturers, since I have the Proxxon blades. Proxxon seem to have their own unique 10mm spindle which is not the norm for other manufacturers.

Tony

Tony,

You do know that Proxxon and Micro-Mark are the same machines, different color. But both made in China, just one is better than the other. If you look on Micro-Mark web site, you will notice other power tools that are the same as Proxxon, in fact a couple are the same color more money but the same LOL. Also check on Amazon for what your looking for even a Google search might find you what your after.

Wacko

Yes, Joe, I know that they are the same machines -- although the MicroMark one is not FET but FS/E -- which makes some of the nice attachments that MicroMark offer unusable on my machine. It was that understanding that made me have a look at MicroMark in the first place as I thought they might have an adapter.

If you by any chance have used some of their fine kerf blades with the adapter for the MicroMark saw I'd be glad to hear of your experience. Or have you stuck with the blades that have the 10mm spindle hole?

Tony

I never bought any blades from them, I had first got mine from Proxxon and then got them from Jim. But mostly stay with the 10mm, sometimes I just want to have an item just in case I need it. But I did buy most of my add ons from Micro Mark only because they had them and no one else, they are usually more money than other places, but if no one else has it usually they do. And also they are not that far from me so I usually get it in a few days. See if there is a shop near you that could turn one for you, you might be able to speak with a worker at lunch time and ask him if he could do you a favor and a lot of times for a few dollars they can make something that size out of scrap metal for you. It's worth a shot, hell money is money. I got a link save somewhere for a place that does a lot of add-ons for the Proxxon, if I can find it I will post it for you, but then again you will be back in the same boat because they are in the US. Sometimes if it wasn't for bad luck a person wouldn't have luck at all. Maybe someone her in the UK could make you one and then mail it to you and it would be cheaper then from the US.

Wacko

That's all sound advice, Joe. I'll do some digging and delving here in the UK. Otherwise I have a brother-in-law who lives in Palo Alto who sometimes comes over here, so he might be able to order and bring the stuff. I might even have a go at slicing a 1/2" dowel and drilling through with a 10mm drill bit using one of the techniques described in Drilling jigs for dowel and metal rodding on this forum.

Tony

Tony,

I have the MM saw.  The slitting blades use the adapter.  And yes, MM seems pricey on blades, etc.  I too am looking for another source....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'll make sure you're in the loop, Mark, should ever I find another source.

I seem to remember from MSW 1.0 that Jim Byrne's slitting blades are better than the MicroMark ones (longer lasting). So should I ever figure out the adapter I'll probably buy the blades from Jim.

Tony

Joe,

You are correct. If I were in the market for a table saw, guess what I would be buying?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)