HMS Renown by bigpav - Billing Boats - 1:35 - first wooden kit

Hey all! So recently I posted that I had a family member pass away. He was really into ship modelling. I found three kits left behind in his house. Doing some research I found that the Renown is a beginners kit. I took inventory of the kit and everything is there. Now I have a lot of questions. The pictures that I will post will show how he started to plank the hull. Some of the boards aren't fitting properly and others are "springy". Should I or can I pull the planks and start over? If so, where can I buy planks? What type of glue do you guys use and are the nails neccesary? Last question, when you plank, do you bevel the edges to make them fit tighter?

Thank you so much for your time.

post-4195-0-55233000-1368402951_thumb.jpg

post-4195-0-20876800-1368402996_thumb.jpg

post-4195-0-14728200-1368403186_thumb.jpg

post-4195-0-41712000-1368403235_thumb.jpg

Scott

Current build:<p>HMS Renown - Billing Boats

Bigpav,

Take a look at the articles here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php

For materials, what kit it is?  Do the instructions say what kind of wood and dimensions of same?

The nails should be used only during construction, if then.  Some use them as decoration, however.

Glue... there's two major types we use... CA and PVA.  CA is the superglue stuff and PVA is wood glue.  Acetone dissolves CA and isopropyl alcohol dissolves PVA.  There's also epoxies but to my knowledge nothing dissolves the bond.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Mark, the articles have been very helpful. Slowly, I'm learning, but it seemsa little intimidating. I will check the instructions again, but I am not sure what wood it is. I know that this model is going to be painted so I could use some filler to fix the spacing problems. The other half wasn't started so I can just plank that (hopefully doing a good job). Thanks again for the advice.

Scott

Hey Mark, the articles have been very helpful. Slowly, I'm learning, but it seemsa little intimidating. I will check the instructions again, but I am not sure what wood it is. I know that this model is going to be painted so I could use some filler to fix the spacing problems. The other half wasn't started so I can just plank that (hopefully doing a good job). Thanks again for the advice.

Is this your first model?  Just curious.  Yes, it can be intimidating, but take your time, use the buildlog to get help and advice and have some fun along the way.  When you're done, you have something to be proud of and to honor the late builder.

BTW, filler is ok. Just don't use putty. The filler putties never harden.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Is this your first model?  Just curious.  Yes, it can be intimidating, but take your time, use the buildlog to get help and advice and have some fun along the way.  When you're done, you have something to be proud of and to honor the late builder.

BTW, filler is ok. Just don't use putty. The filler putties never harden.

Yes this is my first wood model. I have been doing plastic models for a few years. I was used to more detailed instruction and steps. Looking at, basically a blue print, and going from there is a pretty cool challenge. I am very excited and can't wait to start. I just want to make sure I take it slow and not ruin anything.

I went through a box of his "spare" parts and found some good planks to use to replace the damaged ones. I do want to keep as much of his work as possible. I really don't want this to be just my kit. 

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

So I have found some time to really look at the model. All of the planks were warped and coming apart. Everything seems good and still glued well. I have decided to remove the planks which wasn't hard, they were mostly all unglued anyway. So...today I began my first filler blocks. They still need shaping...a lot of shaping, but it is a start. Going to stop now, my brain hurts. Oh yeah, found out something cool tonight. My paint booth that I made for my plastic models doubles as a great sanding booth! Very happy about that. Only real problem is the size great for 1/35 scale armoured vehicles but a little tight for ships. Guess I'll be making another one.

post-4195-0-56850000-1369445940_thumb.jpg

post-4195-0-58976900-1369446084_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigpav

Scott

• 5 weeks later...

Hello again all. It has been a few weeks since my last post, things have been very busy. The other day I finally got to sit down and get a little bit done. I had stated before that I needed to remove the planks that had been done before due to glue failure. I read that planks could not be bent laterally, but realized that my uncle had done so. In reading the directions, it said to plank first at the deck level so that is where I started. On the second plank there was a gap onthe bow and stern. I filled these in with long triangular pieces. I amfar less than satisfied with the results and fell like I am doing soething wrong. Any advice? By the way, this wood is terrible! Seems so brittle and very hard to work with.

Scott

post-4195-0-15011200-1372120962_thumb.jpg

post-4195-0-69431200-1372120974_thumb.jpg

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Really got into it. One side has been planked...not well though. Oh well, learning experience. Once that side had been planked, I used wood filler to smooth things out.

post-4195-0-47743600-1373212368_thumb.jpg

post-4195-0-89742100-1373212432_thumb.jpg

post-4195-0-01186400-1373212474_thumb.jpg

Scott

On the next side I really didn't want to use that wood again. Considered buying some. Then I decided to rummage through what my uncle had left over. I found quite a bit of planking material.post-4195-0-74312600-1373212968_thumb.jpg

Scott

I also found some very thin planking material. I assume it is for double panking a kit. I have been going over the plans and have been considering double planking this model. It is intended to be painted, but I kind of like the idea of the natural wood look. Let you know what I have decided when I figure it out.

post-4195-0-92174800-1373213537_thumb.jpg

Scott

Hey Tom, I had inherited three kits from a family member. When doing the reasearch on them, this was listed as a beginners kit. I would imagine that these two halves make it much easier to plank. It has worked out for me so far! Yup, when all the planking is done you just glue the two halves together!

Scott

Hey Brian, I found that planking could possibly be easier this way. The biggest problem however was putting the two halves together. Didn't realize it until it was to late but I should have made clamping cauls that matched the contour of the hull. It would have made the clamping so much easier.

Scott

Scott,

For a first-timer, you're doing very well.  It looks pretty good and as others have pointed out, what's a bit of filler among friends?  :)  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry, but I haven't made any process yet. This is actually the first time that I have signed on in months! Things at home and work have been very crazy so, unfortunately, modeling took a back seat. Hoping to get back at it soon though.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Matti, I know it will wait patiently. Life has a habit of mysteriously removing several months from you when you blink. Signing on to this forum and seeing everyone's awesome builds has been giving me the itch to get back at it. Problem is time though. I need to find where it all goes during the day! Haha, oh well I can't stay busy forever can I?

Scott

Scott,

We're a patient lot... your model will be there when there's time and so will we.  Some things like "life" have to come before a hobby. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: