Identification of possibly scratch-built Mediterranean fishing boat?

Richj

I am looking for assistance identifying a ship model which I am considering purchasing from a friend. I have no prior knowledge on this subject but this model interests me as unlike most, the masts and sails are not erected. Ideally i would like to know approx age of model, age and type of ship and guide as to whether this is a desirable model or just a home built example which would only really be of value to the builder? 

EDIT: See photos in gallery.

Hi!

First, read this topic. Then, if you still have questions, post them with some photos of your model. Without photos, identifying your model will be pretty much impossible.

Regards,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Rich, I had a look at your photos. The model appears to be a large-scale, scratch-built model of some type of fishing boat. The sharply forward-raked single mast carries a single lateen-rigged yard. This type of vessel, with many variations in form, was common across all parts of the Mediterranean Sea. The type was even used elsewhere, e.g. San Francisco, California, by fishermen who immigrated to this country. Some of our members are more knowledgeable about the type; I have edited your post title to attract more hits. As far as value goes, I will only say that in general warships tend to attract more buyers and therefore command higher prices than working boats, but a true valuation of your model, which looks very nice and appears likely to be a one-off, can only be made by an appraiser at a maritime art gallery.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

"Dohar" means "jewel" in Hindi. The overall appearance of the boat, and the decoration on the bow suggest that it is not Mediterranean (and certainly not the San Francisco lateen-rigged  Italian fishing boat,) but rather of Indian origin. Similarly appearing lateen-rigged vessels were common in the Bay of Bengal and Indian Ocean, trading with the Red Sea area a hundred years ago.  I'm not any sort of expert on South Asian and Arabic craft (although I play one on the internet :D), so I can't offer much more than that. As ccoyle said, it would take a hands-on appraisal from a knowledgeable appraiser to determine its market value. That said, as ccoyle noted, the "big money" in the auction market generally goes to models of large, well-known American and European naval ships, rather than to smaller indigenous watercraft. (Which is a shame, because there are thousands of models of Nelson's Victory or USS Constitution, yet well-done accurate models of  such small craft are as important to the historical record as anything else, and perhaps even more so.) It is nicely built and presented. (With sails furled, which is an entirely acceptable depiction.) Understand that it may turn out to be simply an attractive, but somewhat unremarkable piece made for the Indian tourist trade to sell to Europeans to bring home as a souvenir. At best, it's a well-done scratch-built model, but its appeal may be limited. I don't think there are a lot of collectors of dhow models around!

Ship models are worth whatever somebody will pay for them. If you like it and the price is low enough to warrant the risk, buy it and enjoy it. If the price is high and you are buying it for resale or an investment, you really ought to get a professional appraisal and, even then, with ship models, an appraisal is just a guess by somebody who knows more than you do.  

A cursory glance at the model pictured indicates it needs some minor conservation. Any model with the detail of this one that one wishes to preserve, should be kept in a proper case, as well. 

See: http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00routesdata/0500_0599/shipping/dhow/bombay1890s.jpg for image of similar vessels in Bombay (Mumbai, India) in 1890.

Edited by Bob Cleek