Virginia Swift

RustyNail123

So my wife bought me the Artesania Latina Santa Maria ship for Christmas and was going to start on that but I was given this kit by a friend who said I should start on this one instead then move on to the Maria. It doesn’t appear as complicated. What do you guys suggest?  

32BF417A-0F40-4AFD-9D62-D720FD6A8451.jpeg

Definitely a good kit to get started on. It was one of my first builds, oh so long ago...

Good hull form for fairly easy planking, simple rigging, relatively quick to build and learn on. 

I would suggest following the kit's design and plank it like they tell you in the instructions, though I know the instructions are pretty sparse. Just have a fun introduction to ship modeling!

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I always advise new folks that Mastini's book (which I recommend) shows a simplified planking method that is not true to historical practice. It's a fine method for beginners, especially if everything will end up covered by paint, but you may eventually decide to move on to more "correct" techniques. Some modelers never do, though -- to each his own!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW.  I think the Swift will be an excellent kit to start with.  Here is a link to some articles on planking in the MSW database:

http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

8 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I always advise new folks that Mastini's book (which I recommend) shows a simplified planking method that is not true to historical practice. It's a fine method for beginners, especially if everything will end up covered by paint, but you may eventually decide to move on to more "correct" techniques. Some modelers never do, though -- to each his own!

Yes, the Mastini planking method is fine for anyone, unless you really want to simulate actual practice, which most of the posts I've seen on this forum seem to espouse.

But, when you get down to it, I would venture to say that the majority of ship modelers I have known (not online, but in person), have built models using Mastini's method or similar, which is essentially what is described in nearly all ship model kit instructions. Many extremely beautiful models have been built this way – and not painted over.

Hull planking, and for that matter deck planking, fastenings, scarf joints, knots and serving in rigging, fittings, even hull framing, it's all a matter of what you want the model to be, and how badly you want that. 

Especially when starting off, choose the path that leads to your greatest enjoyment of ship modeling!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare is of course correct on all points, and I did not mean to convey in any sense that Mastini's method is inferior or doesn't produce a fine hull. I only meant to point out that the technique does not follow actual practice, and if I recall correctly (it's been a long time since I read the book), I don't think that Mastini mentioned that anywhere in his book. Anyways, "simplified" should not be interpreted as "bad", and in truth probably the majority of us are perfectly content with many simplified aspects of miniature shipbuilding, e.g. rigging -- I've never wormed, served, or parceled a rope in my life. And yes, ultimately enjoying the hobby is the final goal.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane