UV light activated glue

I came across an add on U-Tube for an adhesive often used by a dentists, one of whom thought of expanding its use on many more applications.  It bonds a vast list of materials including wood, metal, and glass by basically, welding the materials together.  It remains in liquid form until exposed to a small UV light tool for four seconds.  This adhesive dries clear and once hardened, it can be filed or sanded to shape.  The video has a demonstration of its strength in the video where a broken wire cable was glued and able to support the weight of a full grown man.  It goes under the brand name of Bondic.  A web site address of getbondic.io was listed on the AD.  It sounds like something with many applications in our hobby.  Has anyone here know of or ever used the product before?

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

I have used it a number of times. In fact when you posted last year about trying to repair a broken glass if some kind that had a stem inside I gave you a link and recommended it as possibly the best repair method for that kind of repair.

Be that as it may, I have used it a number of times over the last couple of years for several repairs. It is the ONLY glue that I have been able to find that will repair the plastic frames around the lenses of my kids glasses. Two sets of glasses over the years and two repairs that never failed. Three long stem wine glasses for my wife. Did not continue using them all that long as you could still see where the break had occurred, (Missing shard of glass) but while she was still using them there were no issues. Didn't put them in the dishwasher so I have no idea how they would have fared under those conditions.  Fixed a coffee mug handle for a cup that is kind of like an old tennis shoe and I just like it. No problems in probably six months of almost daily use.

GREAT stuff and even though I thought it was kind of expensive for such a small tube when I bought it I still have not run out of it after all this time and various repairs.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I've used  UV cure glues  in the course of my job some years back.  There  are a few considerations.  

1.  The materials to be glued must be transparent to UV light, otherwise the cure will only be on the surface.  Some materials are transparent to visible light but not UV (e.g. eyeglasses), and vice versa.   That said, there are glues that can be cured by both UV light and heat, and so UV exposure  can be used to initially stabilize a joint and then a full cure can be achieved in an oven.

2.  An intense UV light source may be required, and precautions must be taken to prevent skin and eye exposure to the UV light.

3.  There were a few times when I couldn't get enough light on the parts, and so I waited until that bright UV source in the sky was out, and even used a magnifying glass a few times to finish the cure with heat (judiciously done).