Which jib sail flys last?

MESSIS

Am planing to finish Hermione's sail plan using only two jib sails instead of three (ships full rig plan). Is it correct (in order to picture a correct sail set) to fly the inner and outer jib sail and spare the flying jib, which I assume was the third and  last jib to fly.

In other words is the flying jib the third and last jib to fly?

I believe thats picture no 1, there is the inner and outer jib, the flying jib is missing.

But what about picture no 2, is there the outer and the flying jib flying and there is the inner jib the one missing?

Picture no 1.jpg

Picture no 2.jpg

Good Afternoon Messis;

It looks to me as if it is the same sails in both pictures, but in the second one, the outer sail has been hauled further out on the jib-boom. It also looks to me as though the ship only has a bowsprit and jib-boom, there is no flying jib-boom rigged. 

So there are probably only intended to be two headsails in the present rigging set-up.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thank you Mark, a quick response and an answer that looks to come from someone who knows!

Ok yes, "the outer jib is hauled further", its an explanation...  which I welcome indeed.

Christos

Ps the ship still has a flying jib on the bowsprit arrangement as in picture.

Edited by MESSIS

With no flying jib boom it would be Jib Sail, (out front) Fore Topmast Stay Sail, and Fore Staysail (back aft).

Your images do not have the Fore Staysail rigged or raised.

The traveller on the Jib Sail is hauled about halfway aft on the jib boom.

reference - fore + aft sail names.JPG

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

@SpyGlass thank you for the very round answer. So I understand that having the inner and outer jib hauled without using the  flying jib its not a wrong case to display on my full flying sails model?

@AON thank you, so you do agree that inner and outer jib only, by almost full flying sails  its something that happens?

Edited by MESSIS

@SpyGlass Thank you again! Its actualy hard to come on all this you just explaind if someone hasnt the luck to sail such a sailship.

So, posting a picture of what I have done. Thats the maximum I can succeed by keeping wind into the sails.

20200227_133724.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

I should post that I've had some PM with MESSIS and I had sent him a corrected image for the French rigging.

The image in post 5 above is more, I believe, for English ships.

The 74 gun ship Vol3 pg 65 Jean Boudroit.JPG

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)