Any opinions on this Proxxon DS 460

I received this email from them today. I am tempted - especially like the tilting platform. Any opinions will be appreciated. Price seems "ok" and free shipping.

FYI: I am absolutely not connected with them, just a customer for a thumbs up or down.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Regards,

37094_1.jpg.3c13a0715fbdbe1399a305a66a72fcec.jpg

https://www.proxxon.com/us/micromot/37094.php?mc_cid=d361591428&mc_eid=cd5400fc37

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael, 
I've been eyeing that saw as well, I have another scroll saw that vibrates to much in order to be any good.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks mates,

I have their DS 115E, and rarely use it. Changing blades, correctly has been, for me, an issue. And it's a very basic saw.. 

The DS 460 might just fit the need.

Thanks for your opinions appreciated. 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mike,

Generally, the Proxxon tools are of good quality, so I assume that this one is also good, if the price is good too. I don't own one, but for many years I have and used a 2-speed Delta and have been quite satisfied with it. I use it quite often. It is not nearly as good as the Hegner or the Sacura saws, but pricewise it was v. competitive too.

Don't forget to get yourself some good blades for it, like Olsson blades sold by Rockler in Pasadena, for example.

Good luck with your Sovereign. It is an awesome model! Did you see the one by Ed Marple in the Maritime museum in Oxnard?

Regards,

Thomas

PS: I noticed that you are out in Santa Monica. I live in Glendale. Currently scratchbuilding the 74 gun ship by J. Boudriot in 1:48. A beast!

Thomas,

Thanks for all of your comments. Will look at alternatives. So far all of my power tools are Proxxon, and I have generally no complaints. My fave is the MF70 with X-Y attachment. But would like a better saw.

Yes I did see the stunning Marple SoS in Oxnard. I called them a couple of weeks ago - wanted to take better images, but they are still closed. I never thought that I would "get to that ship" so only took one or two images. Now, of course, I need more images haha..

I will look for your log. Awesome ship - the books should be of great help. I have three of the Boudroit books for that ship. I have used his images a lot as a great assistant.

For the SoS I got the McKay book - 

892162208_IMG_0391copy.jpeg.bdea38cf1fb195150ba5f95a17fffa37.jpeg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

2 hours ago, Dziadeczek said:

Generally, the Proxxon tools are of good quality, so I assume that this one is also good, if the price is good too. I don't own one, but for many years I have and used a 2-speed Delta and have been quite satisfied with it. I use it quite often. It is not nearly as good as the Hegner or the Sacura saws, but pricewise it was v. competitive too.

Don't forget to get yourself some good blades for it, like Olsson blades sold by Rockler in Pasadena, for example.

Good luck with your Sovereign. It is an awesome model! Did you see the one by Ed Marple in the Maritime museum in Oxnard?

While I don't have much familiarity with Proxxon tools, they do have a good reputation in the modeling community and are reasonably priced. That said, they are "hobby grade" tools, and you get what you pay for in tools. 

When you consider you can purchase a brand new Sakura 14" parallel arm scroll saw for $550 right now, which is rated in the same top-end class with a $1,700 Hegner (but I won't argue that the Hegner probably isn't a bit better,) I'd hesitate to pay $350 for the Proxxon. Proxxon advertises that their saw has a "vibration reducing steel base" or something like that. There's a lot more to reducing vibration in a scroll saw than a metal base. I was lucky to be able to buy my American-made Sakura nearly new for $100 from a fellow who bought it and then had no use for it. It's light years ahead of the Craftsman and Delta scroll saws I've owned previously. The constant tension parallel arms make a huge difference in the higher quality scroll saws. So does a belt drive. Variable speed is essential if you want to cut both wood and metal and plastics. A variable speed foot pedal is handy, too. I'd take a hard look at the highly rated new Deltas and the Sakuras (http://www.pswood.com/scroll-saws/) before spending the money Proxxon wants for a lower rated machine. And, as always, there are surprising bargains to be had in top end tools on the used market. Craigslist can be your friend. (eBay, sometimes, but not so much.) Sometimes wealthy people buy very expensive power tools and lose interest, or for whatever reason want to get rid of them. Used tools in good shape are the best buy.

Sakura 14"

14a__45066.1340829322.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Bob,

Thanks for all of this information - Just saw it. Will look into your suggestions as well 

Again thanks.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -