HM Cutter Alert by JMartti - Vanguard Models - 1:64

1 hour ago, VTHokiEE said:

I have a lot of trouble with the eyelets, I think its because they are copper and not brass. I need to experiment more for them (or watch what you do very closely and hope I can source what you end up with). Did your kit not come with the black resin cannons?

My kit is the original version that is being sold at discount price on Vanguard Models. It comes with the cast white metal cannons as seen in B.E.'s build log. They have a really rough surface texture that's not pretty at all. I'm not sure if I'll replace the swivel guns with the brass ones, but I ordered them just in case.

Oh yes, sorry I forgot that you mentioned that. I’m the same way about ordering - May as well order them just in case rather than wait on them if you get there and wish you had them.

Steady progress. I've been super careful with the capping rail patterns, I even applied some tape over them on the sheets to protect them until they were needed, and still managed to break off a piece while detaching them! But I used the undamaged (they're mirror images of each other) one to mark out the gun ports.

I also noticed that the one taped in place, in the picture, had the last pair of laser markings in wrong position. I just penciled them in the right place.

IMG_20200907_120042.thumb.jpg.1b4684fdc4d4310338b23f7b5aa9c40c.jpg

First I was pretty nervous to cut into the hull, but everything worked out great. I drilled out the corners, sawed in to them and cut out with a hobby knife. I also planked the front face of the stern platform, even though it's not mentioned in the isntructions. I think it looks much better than just painted plywood surface. Last I applied two coats of Admiralty Paints red ochre on the bulwarks and insides of the gunports.

IMG_20200908_115343.thumb.jpg.9d26b9a6e0fb657a1378a48d23ba36c6.jpg

I guess I have a few options on what to do next, I'll propably start on the deck planking or maybe start assembling the carriages for the cannons. I'm still trying to figure out how to blacken the cannon barrels and other brass fittings and whether to brush or spray paint the waterline.