USF Essex by mtbediz - FINISHED - 1:50

Hello friends. After a long Summer break I have started building the US Frigate Essex. I used Aeropiccola's kit plan (which is already on the internet) to cut the bulkheads and the bulkhead former. I modified stern section of the bulkhead former according to Model Shipways' Essex kit plan and I added stern frames. I do not have a detailed plan so I will mostly make use Bob's (Rafine) Essex build log on MSW. Many thanks to Bob in advance. He did a great job on her and detailed build log.

Here are the first pictures.

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

28 minutes ago, rafine said:

Thanks so much Mustafa for the compliments on my build. You're off to a great start and I look forward to following your build.

Bob

Thank you so much Bob. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the likes. I am back in the shipyard after a short holiday with my mom in the neighbour city. I completed gun port frames and painted them scarlet. I completed stern planking and started planking of the upper hull. I am using 1,5x5 mm of Spanish cedar strips in the upper hull and stern planking.

35.jpg

122103824_344282450182000_329002532358010949_o.jpg

37.jpg

36.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

Hello my friend  - how did I miss the start of this build   - excellent work, consider me well and truly  following now  (even brought a chair)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late, but I'll be following along. My Kate Cory is getting close to complete and I'm looking for my next build. I have an old Model Shipways 1/8" scale Essex kit from the mid '80's in the closet...The machine carved hull and the plans and instructions are probably all that's left that's useful. The rest would be scratch. I'm not sure I'm ready for such a build, but I'll be following here looking for tips and inspiration. 

Rich

Member - Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Current Build:  Pride of Baltimore 2

Finished: Kate Cory

Finished for now (Not rigged):  Medway Longboat

I completed the gun deck nail effects. I made a simple marking tool to keep constant the distances of the treenails. I drilled with 0,8 mm drill bit and used a 0,7 mm of mechanical pencil.

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

The stern windows are complete. I made a simple jig to get a standard in windows. They haven't been glued in place yet. They will be painted white first.

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

I painted the hull black. Below the waterline will be coppered. I ordered self adhesive copper tape for the task. I worked on stern transom. Since I don't have detailed plans I draw some parts myself.

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

1 minute ago, rafine said:

She looks great Mustafa. I can't believe how quickly you are going.

Bob

Thank you Bob. I am retired and work in my shipyard at least 8 hours a day. Of course this Covid virus forced me to stay at home and work on my hobby at the same time.

Just checked in on your build Mustafa.  She looks very well made.  I hope you don't mind me asking, but as you have not yet finished the knee of the head, will you be tapering it up and down as well as fore and aft?  It should go down to about 6" wide (or maybe less) at the forward edge near the top and then widen as it goes down and as well as towards the stem.  

Great work!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU