model space HMS Victory build planking question

Hello there 

is someone on this site working on the Model space HMS Victory or maybe finished the kit reason I ask is I am having 

a senior moment or brain freeze here  LOL, it's about  stage 36, for some reason I can't seem to figure out where to start with the planking of the bow  the booklet  tells me to follow stage 32, mostly page 185 of stage 32 but to me stage 36 is a little different 

for example on page 185 the first plank is tapered then glued to the bow next to the lower planking the plank is beveled of course and ends at rib 18 fine then you follow with three more ending at 17, then 16  then back to 18 ETC, but when you get ready to start stage 36 page 202 it's a total different scenario, I'm just guessing here but do I follow part 1 page 202 and add dropper plank at 17 to 19 if so which rib  the first plank stop at I can not see the end of the plank, see what I mean, if any one understands the issue  I am asking I would appreciate your advise and where to start thank you 

Ronald 

Ronald,

Photos would be a huge help here.  Unless someone has the same kit, your description is really difficult to understand, for me at least.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Have you tried looking at the instruction videos on the Model Space website? They also have a HMS Victory forum where you can post questions.

Current Build

18th Century Armed Longboat-Model Shipways

Completed Build

Lady Eleanor-Vanguard Models

King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andre- I have gotten the bow area sorted Andre thanks for wanting to help  I am having issues with planking the stern  I had removed  4 of the planks on each side plus the cord board shims as well  and have started over because they were uneven by a MM or more but I will add  a photos to show you or any one that might be interested,  also  Alan  from  model space community told that their should be about 8 planks to the false keel,  anyway  the 1st photo will show  the planks are  uneven and before removed from stern 2nd photo shows the planks removed,  Could you show me or explain how to even out the planks so I can get 8 planks on each side  to reach the false keel evenly, Sadly in his victory build he does not show how he does it in the video it they just end up done thank you 

Ronald 

thumbnail (6) planking uneven at transon closer view .jpg

thumbnail (6) fiest 3 planks removed  both sides.jpg

Hi Ronald, here is a pic of my victory stern, as you can see alot of the original planking gets covered by details and paint, i cant tell if i have the 8 planks that Alan described to you although it looks about right. I can see what you mean, it looks like you have 5 planks on the left and 4 on the right. Are the planks fairly level on each side of the ship? if so i would taper slightly more on one side at the stern to even the gap, as you can see on my photo you wont see it on the model once sanded and painted, if your keeping it a natural wood finish then i guess its more critical, im fairly inexperienced to other guys on here so they might have a different view.

20200915_195705.jpg

Hi Andre 

I'm guessing that they were leveled before I removed them and decided to start over  the # 5 plank you see in the first photo was the beginning of the next 8 layer of planks before I notice the unevenness of the planks, but like you mentioned I will be coppering the hull  did you paint the hull a copper color it looks like you did because I can see  that your planks are even from the lines, but anyway back to mine even thought they will be covered I will feel better knowing that the planks are even all the way to the false keel  PS nice job on your model before and after the paint job 

Ronald 

thanks Ronald, yes mine is copper painted, i will add some more coats of admiral {real} copper paint when it arrives, it will patina like real copper then, i think copper plating looks awesome but didnt want to bite off more than i could chew so to speak. I hope i was some assistance, its good to know that there are other like minded people to chat to when in doubt, best of luck with your build she is coming along nicely

Hi Andre 

I was thinking since you  to worked on the Victory from model space  when you started planking the stern would you happen to know if  the last rib 30  was almost close to the height of rib 29 and are there any type of measurements I can maybe use to get the fairing right,  because that may be the cause of my problem planking the stern I may faired it to much and have to add filler, the first planks  is under the floor appear to be only one  that is ok  but the rest are coming out right any suggestions.  thank you 

Ronald 

Hi Ronald, the last rib is 31 and i believe it should be the same height, i remeber having to unglue mine and do it again [ a common mistake] as Alan looked at photos and felt it was sitting too high and he was right i didnt push the rib all the way in. if i can find the pics i will upload them for you, but i have a new pc and phone since and may not have them. But im pretty sure they should be the same height. Just so you know i didnt add any timber to the ribs, for the fairing i only sanded an angle for the planks to sit flush. hope this helps some.cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andre 

do you remember me asking you for help with my model space victory well I still need help with the stern planking problem, I am at the point of bending the ends to  almost match the curvature of the stern, and hopefully trim the angle and twist at the ends  any way  could you explain part 3 near the bottom near end  it says to mark the front of frame 30 or as we would call it rib 30 it is also seen in part 7  is that mark used to help  cut the angle if so how do I  get that mark  meaning how do I measure for it, it only says to leave a generous amount about 25mm from the inside of rib 30 to end of   the planks  I  can not ask any more for help because Mark from Admin  ended  the thread  if you  can shed some ;light on this matter I   would appreciate it thank you 

Ronald 

thumbnail (1) confuseing  steps.jpg

thumbnail part 7 of instructions.jpg

I  understand about the 25mm  piece of planking  sticking out from the inside of rib 30 to the end of the  plank, but you lost me  when you said  the mark that is on the front of the stern is used as a starting  point  three questions  for you 1) how do you mark off the area on the stern  as in part 3 and shown in part 7, 2) where did  you find that information, 3) the mark that is on the stern is that a  reference point  for the bottom of the angle that to be cut  like it looks on  part 7  it looks  that way  there is no front view to  go by 

Ronald 

ok thanks Andre 

my last and main questions then, is How do I  get that mark on the front of the stern the instructions do not tell you  anything on how to put it there it just says mark the front of the frame/rib, I  was hoping  Alan would have responded to my 

question about that since that first plank helps with the rest of them, Mark from Admin locked my thread on that post, so I 

can't get help from Alan any more for that post unless I PM which I did several times

Ronald