Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    The Villages Florida

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. The hull has been shaped and rough sanded. Next I will sand to its finished stage. A few spots will need some wood filler as the hull came missing wood in a few spots when it was machined by the vendor. I am thinking of putting on a couple of thin coats of shellac on the hull before painting. I was pretty nervous to start carving out the bulwarks to 1/8 of an inch but I took my time and I think they came out OK by my standards. Removing the wood for the cockpit was difficult since I did not have a set of small gouges. Although it looks rough I think the cockpit will hide this area. While this is all new to me my goal is to complete this project. I expect to make mistakes but already I am having so much fun and I hope other members can help and guide me along the way.
  2. This is my first build. I tried a POF over 30 years ago and it was a disaster. I am giving it another try but decided to try a solid-hull instead of tackling planking. I selected the Katy of Norfolk by Model Expo. It appears this had been a planked model but has been reintroduced as a solid-hull model.
  3. Hi Chris I loved the pictures of the finished project. Hope I can do just as well.
  4. Hi Chris I am building the current solid-hull version.
  5. Hello to everyone. My name is Jeff and I am going to give the hobby a try. Attempted a build many years ago before the internet was even around. It was a POF model and I struggled and made many mistakes. With the internet and so much info available I want to give it a go again. I want to start out with a basic model so I have chosen a solid hull model so I can ease into planking down the road. I will be building the Model Expo Katy of Norfolk. It looks like there is not a build log for this model so I am thinking of starting one for this ship. The Villages is the largest retirement community in the world so besides this forum I am going to see if there are any modelers who live here who could advise me. I am hoping as a newbie I will be able to get help from the forum as I am sure I will need it.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...