Tips for accurate bulk head alignment.

David W K

🤔Just recently purchased Model Shipways Syren US Brig again. The last one I built was destroyed when a tornado came through our neighborhood.  I'm not new to model ship building, I've built built five over a few years and this one will be the 6th. My question is does anyone have any tips for a precise bulk head alignment.

Hi David, 

Welcome to MSW.  Hopefully you'll tell us a bit more about yourself.

As for the bulkheads,  do a bit of searching here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/   You will probably find many ways of doing this. 

Also, if you go here:  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/17023-quick-find-indexes-to-build-logs-for-kits/ , you'll find indexes for all the kit builds.  Should be quite a few on the Syren.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to Model Ship World David.  I am sorry to hear of the news of the tornado as I am sure you lost more than the Syren.  You sound like an experienced modeler and I look forward to seeing your work.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome David,

In a few words, a building board  to hold the keel secure and perfectly vertical, and at least two decent quality builder squares to be sure the bulkheads are properly aligned horizontally and vertically when gluing to the keel.   I print and glue a frame guide and centerline on the building board as well.   I am sure if you post in the building and framing forum you will get great advice in response to your question. 

Again, welcome to MSW

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU