Sherline, lathe tailstock and how to raise it.

Hay guys have question for you and hoping maybe some one has a  answer on it. On my Sherline lathe I am adding a 8 inch cross slide table to it but have to get a riser block for the headstock but my question is what about the tailstock? If I raise the headstock it seem's that I also need to raise the tail stock the same amount but have not seen any thing about Sherling making a riser block for that. Do you know what others do to raise the tail stock so the centers are right and even with each other? I can't see changing  the 8 inch out to the 6 inch when I need to use the tail stock and we like to leave it set up with the 8 inch table permanently. All ideals and thought's are much needed. Thanks.  Gary

Thanks Richards I saw that one but its to tall. The head stock riser  that am getting  only raising the head stock a 1/4 of a inch from what I can tell and the one you mention I believe raise's the head stock a little over a inch.  The 8 inch table is 7/8 of a inch thick and the 6 inch cross slide table is 5/8 thick.  Thank you. Gary

I see what you mean now just looking at the Sherline website and see Riser plate for 8" Crosslide do see a note 

Sorry gave you wrong info

Be advised that the tailstock will not align with the headstock when using this spacer. Therefore, you will not be able to turn parts between centers. Additionally, some of our other accessories, such as the thread cutting attachment, will also NOT work when you are using this spacer.

Thanks Richard but I need to raise the tailstock. The one I purchased is 1294. If I use item 1291, riser block, then I would have to buy a lot more of the items on your  page which would raise the cost over all and don't believe the ladyship will approved the request. I already have Tool post along with other item's and purchasing  tall one's would be just a waste of money. Cheaper in the long run just to raise the tail stock end, if I can figure out how. Might have to  modify the tail stock it self. Thanks again.  Gary. 

That's ok Richard and thank you for the help. That's what counts.  i also had to buy a new lever collet closer Riser so in the long run I just may have to purchase 1291 along with those other items, that is if I can get my request approved. It does seem when you change one thing, you have to change 30 more items. 🥺Gary

Hi Richard and no I haven't  given those much thought and do have the small OJT chuck with the adjustable back.  From reading the description and specifications on their site it lead's me to believe it only very small movement's for centering very small drill bits. Gary 

The reason that I posted is that from reading the current Sherline literature I agree that the adjustable back tailstock chucks have very limited range.  The adjustable chuck that I remember them selling would have had to had more range to effectively turn a taper.  Perhaps they still make it.

I just took part the one I have which is the live center and see that the parts are the same as adjustable tailstock chuck holder the part which goes into the tailstock has 1/4" holes and the other has 1/8" thread for the Allen screw so do you have a mill you could slot the hole another 3/16" and there you would have your 1/4" just a thought.

YWbkY0.jpg

FGANXN.jpg

imX8Yj.jpg

Regards

Richard

• 3 months later...