Hello all:

I'm working on a modified HMS Greyhound (Corel) and am wondering (in advance) how the channels would have been finished. Corel supplies these as laser cut in Walnut ply - I am tempted to paint them black, which I think will fit better with the scheme of the vessel as I've been building it.

I'm assuming this is one of those "up to you" kind of things, but I thought I'd ask the membership just in case. Thanks in advance!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Contemporary models' channels (18th century, English) are either in natural wood or matt black.

I'd normally go with druxey on this.  Natural if the model was done all in natural, otherwise black.  I'm thinking you want to match the caprail/uppermost planking somehow.  Thing is, I have a nagging feeling I've actually seen some (in real life) in some other color that complements the ship.  So I'm not so sure.

I'll keep watching, half expecting one of our most experienced to boom in something like 'According to Admiralty Rule # XXYY......... :)

Edited by Augie

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hello Druxey, Brian, Frankie and Augie:

Thanks for the clarification - black it is!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

But Wait!

Color and BW photos of the perfectly preserved wrecks of the Sloops USS Hamilton and the USS Scourge, sunk in 300 feet of water on Lake Ontario in a squall in 1813, show the channels left in natural wood. It is very hard to tell exactly because of the silt sitting on the tops of the channels, but the sides of the channels are natural oiled wood, like most of the hull. They would have had to blacken just the tops, but not the sides, to have been so colored on these two wrecks. Black and blue paint can still be seen on the hull, so there was no universal fading of color. One sloop was British, built before the war, the other American.

Perhaps there was no need to blacken ... because of the lack of salt ... ? [Grasping at straws here?]

See: "Ghost Ships: Hamilton and Scourge: Historical Treasures of from the War of 1812 " by Emily Cain, 1984, Fountain Press, pp. 93, 105.

Black will go as the norm. It highlights out the sleek lines of the hull I reckon. But at the end of the day, it's your build, it's up to you! :)

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard