What is channel bends?

White

Hi, I'm novice here. I'm trying to translate a book. Could you help me?

What is channel bends in the text below (the text is already in public domain)?

In entering dock, carried away starboard cathead and started starboard chain plates; held survey of damage done: decided to take off channel bends, renew through bolts, straighten plates and replace same; also to renew cathead and caulk ship's side in wake of plate, six seams, &c. &c.

Thank you.

Edited by White
punctuation mistake

White, 

Welcome aboard MSW.  

Can you tell us the source of this quote?    It is a new term for me, but based on the few words they give regarding renewing the through bolts, it sounds like it MAY be that this is the strip of wood molding (moulding)  that goes on the outboard edges of the channels which would cover the through bolts and close the slots in which the deadeye chains fit.  Remove this molding, replace the bolts, then replace the molding &c.    Hope someone has a clear answer regarding what this term is.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Good Evening Gentlemen;

This is a good example of how words shifted in meaning over the years. The most recent meaning of 'bend' is actually the frame timbers, or 'ribs' of the ship. 

However, back in the 17th century, a 'bend' was also used to describe the wales, both main wales, and channel wales as Druxey says above. Presumably because of the great amount of curvature with which wales were at that time constructed. It was also used to describe the more prominent of the planks which form the internal planking of the hold, all of which was known collectively as the 'ceiling', or 'seeling', or 'footwailing'. Early contracts talk of 'bends' or 'strakes' of sleepers etc. Only the word strake has kept is meaning, while 'bend' has migrated. However, it would be interesting to know the date of the passage quoted above, which would give some indication of how long the meaning survived in the vernacular, even if it had dropped out of written usage long before. 

All the best,

Mark P  

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

1 hour ago, Mark P said:

it would be interesting to know the date of the passage quoted above, which would give some indication of how long the meaning survived in the vernacular, even if it had dropped out of written usage long before

Written by W. W. Jacobs - 1863-1943, born in England - his father "worked as a dockhand and wharf manager on the South Devon Wharf. Jacobs seems to draw heavily upon his father's experiences working at the docks and his stories often feature the adventures of wayward seamen and mariners working themselves in and out of precarious predicaments."

Most famously wrote the horror story The Monkey's Claw.

Steven

Thanks Steven;

That's interesting: the word retained its meaning in the vernacular long after it ceased to be used in writing. I don't remember seeing any use of 'bend' meaning strake, in writing later than the early 18th century. The word is no longer used in contracts, and Falconer's 'Universal Dictionary' only defines bend in its non-shipbuilding meaning of fastening a rope to something. 

All the best,

Mark 

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS