Youtube photoetching tutorial

I found this very nice and in depth tutorial of how to use Micro-Marks photoetching kit.

If this is the best tutorial I will leave up for discussion.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks, very nice explanations.

Two points about the video:  first, he handles the resist film with bare fingers. This should be avoided, fingerprints are not desirable; and the hydrogen peroxide in his process is 3% (a.k.a. 10 vol) which is not explained.

As I used to be an etcher by trade, I feel qualified to offer another couple of observations. The copy-paper and resist in the kit looks well suited to the home etcher, the occasional user. We don't know from this video what instructions are given for storage and handling but whatever they are, obey them! It is very common, especially with the light sensative resist, that the product 'dies' between uses because of temperature or light spoilage while in storage.

Also, the airpump used to agitate the etchant is perfectly adequate but it surprised me that the workpiece was flat, i.e. horizontal, in the tank. All of the 'bubble tanks' I ever used had the workpiece on edge and with the bubbles directly below to agitate both surfaces at rhe same time. This is worth considering even for the home etcher because both sides are constantly visible for inspection and it is easier to ensure equal etching on both sides for an equal undercut and a better exposed edge. This is especially important if delicate pieces are being etched because an uneven undercut can be the difference between a piece looking right or not (yes, even at .004 thickness).

The copy film in the video seems to be the ideal product for home etching. Image reproduction and registration are the two biggest hurdles for the non-professional to overcome. Haven't tried it myself but this looks like a good system.

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

For more info on the topic, check out this link:

Photo Etching - do it yourself - Metal Work, Soldering and Metal Fittings - Model Ship World™

I did not use the Micro Mark kit, since my pieces had to be way bigger - hence I had to build my own UV exposure lamp, get a bigger laminator and a bigger developing tank. I based the entire procedure on the very informative tutorial by Gene Berger (link included in the above mentioned thread), so I used different chemicals and exposure parameters than those proposed in the video. There are many ways to "skin the cat", one has to choose what is better for him and what is available in his area.

This is definitely doable at home, but it is a learning curve - one has to determine all variables based on one's trials and errors.

Do not expect to do it once and end up with gorgeous results! Patience!!!

Have fun...