Ah! Now I understand the question. Scarphs are generally oriented so that any stress is at right angles to the joint line. The one on the left will resist an up and down stress, whereas the one on the right will resist lateral stress.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

For naval vessels, I believe it was the country of origin that determined the orientation of keel scarphs.  Blaise Ollivier, on page 45 of his 18th Century Shipbuilding, states that English keels are built with a "side by side" scarph while French scarphs are "one on top of the other."  Page 208 describes the Dutch following the French practice.  As for the German practice, Ollivier's description of the Germans securing keel scarfs with clench-bolts driven up from the bottom suggests that they followed the French practice as well.

The Admiral called me away momentarily - to continue:  English stems were scarphed side by side  (p. 84), the Dutch scarphed the stem to the keel side by side then rotated the rest of the stem's scarphs 90 deg. (p. 209).  Ollivier infers French stems are scarphed as are their keels (p. 209), one atop the other.  

Ollivier mentions "storeships from the Northern lands", (p. 367)  with stems scarphed directly to the end of the keel and "in former times some Builders used to follow the same practice in warships".  This suggests a simple butt-joint to me.

Edited by Charles Green
additional information

Don,

What Dan shows in his photos is the correct way for English ships.  The forward joint is a simplified version of a boxing joint meant to tie the keel to the lower stem which takes stress in all directions at that point, thus the design.  What is not shown is that this joint in full size ships is  tabled as well and the vertical surface was actually angled slightly,  similar to the keel scarphs.  The tabling will be hidden when assembled and for our scales of models, they are not adding anything unless the builder would like to give it a go for their own satisfaction.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allan. Every answer(unfortunately) leads to another question. Boxing joint. I did a search and after wading through all the Mike Tyson stuff ended up at one of your posts where you were wondering if a 1690's ship should have a scarph or a boxing joint but it didn't explain what a boxing joint. I have downloaded Oxfords Glossary and find it very helpful but the drawing of a boxing joint is almost incomprehensible. Enough so I don't think I'll be trying it😃

Figure G-11b. Scarfs and seams. | Oxford Handbooks Online

Just to be clear, this is not a request for more info, just a bit of a whine about the difficulty of wading through a new lingo. I'm sure you've all done it unless you were born in a shipyard. Will Langridge help with this or am I putting too much hope on one book?

Edit- found it here on my next search

Fusion 360 - Page 2 - CAD and 3D Modelling/Drafting Plans with Software - Model Ship World™

Don't think I'll be trying that😃

Edited by Don Case

To name a few others, The Fully Framed Model, Volume I,  Naiad, Volume I, and Euryalus Volume I all show the boxing joint.  Pages 39-42 in Naiad go into a lot of detail on how make this joint with hand tools.   

Even on a model, especially if a POF, if there is a keel and a lower stem piece, the boxing joint really is something you need to make.  If you make some other joint, it is liable to be a weak spot and twist and turn and maybe even break when adding the frames, hawse pieces and subsequently the planking.  Plus, this joint is exposed and will be noticeable on the finished model.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU