Advice needed. How much rope do I need?

bruce d

In view of the news from Syren, I realised that I have put off too long one an important question: I don't know how much rope I will need for the two scratch builds on the bench.  As I expect there will be some changes in the supply chain I would like to get it right first time when ordering because there is no guarantee the same supplier will be able to send more if I need it.

The first to get to the rigging stage will be Mediator, a 1/48th single masted merchant vessel.

Since I have never rigged a model before it would be very easy for me to think I can get it right by measuring up the ropework I can see in the drawings. Maybe, but I suspect there has to be a better way.

The second model, which will always be behind Mediator in progress, is a 1/40th scale Pickle. There is no build log yet and I will not start her rigging until Mediator is done and in a display case. Also, there are three small CAFModels that require some rigging.

The plan was to order a bunch from Chuck in a month when I have done my sums but I have missed the boat. Now

So here goes: is asking 'Your model looks a bit like mine will, how much rope did you use?' good enough?  If not, what is the best way to estimate correctly the amount to order?

Many thanks,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

My word of caution would be to over estimate, at least for me I don't like to tie knots with a tiny piece of rope so I tend to have a higher waste amount (but I try to save the trimmed pieces for rope rope coils).

57 minutes ago, bruce d said:

I can get it right by measuring up the ropework I can see in the drawings. Maybe, but I suspect there has to be a better way.

At this point, I would think that might be the best way , considering the Mediator and Pickle are relatively simple rigs.

I would go with your measurements and add at least 10%..

Even if there are similar builds in the forum, I would doubt that people are measuring the rope as they go along and keeping a record of it.

Maybe someone will prove me wrong.

It is going to be hard to find a good replacement with Chuck out of the picture.  Another good reason to consider making your own.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 minute ago, Gregory said:

Another good reason to consider making your own.

Grudgingly, I agree. But if there is a quality product available, I will at least try it.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold