Please read Longridge's Anatomy of Nelson's Ships or Goodwin's Sailing Man of War, Don. Either will inform you more comprehensively than any brief answer here. However, briefly; every timber on a ship had a structural purpose. The beams of a ship need a lot of reinforcement that planking alone simply would not supply.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Go with Druxey's advice Don.

To answer your question on size, the carlings do not have the same scantlings as the beams and they run fore and aft rather than athwartships.   They may have different dimensions for each deck in most cases depending on the size of the beams which would vary as well and the number of tiers (rows) of carlings varies as well.   For Discovery there were probably two tiers port and two tiers starboard and in the neighborhood of 6 inches broad and 5 inches deep.   There were also rows of ledges between the carlings which were probably about 3.5" broad by 3" deep.  There is more to this, so again, follow Druxey's advice and read up on these in the books he mentions.   I must say it is a pleasure to see you take such an interest in the details!!!

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I looked in Longridge. The index has one entry page 26. It says "Short solid timbers called "carlings" were fixed in the fore and aft direction between the beams, and "ledges" of lighter stuff ran between the carlings parallel with the beams. (Fig. 15.) "

I'm not terribly impressed with Longridge so far. Maybe I got the Readers Digest version. My book has 21 pages on how ships were constructed. I'm only about a third of the way into the book but the rest of it seems to be how he made short cuts around the hard parts of building. Hopefully it will get better.

Sorry. Rant mode off. I guess I'll limit my 'why" questions.

To your first question, hatches and other deck openings are, like windows and doors in buildings, a point of weakness. It is typical to add extra structure around such openings to replace the strength lost when holes in the decking are needed, especially large holes.

Not a bad question at all and knowing why elements are there improves the likelihood that they will be modeled accurately.

My Current Project is the Pinky Schooner Dove Found here: Dove Build Log

Previously built schooners:

Benjamin Latham

Latham's Seine Boat

Prince de Neufchatel