Advice for a newbe required.

Hi all. I purchased the Mississippi kit from ocCre last month, when it came there was one sheet of parts missing. I advised them of this strait away. in the mean time I did some work in starting the build, as shown in my log. when the sheet arrived this week I fitted the deck as per instructions. I noticed that the deck was not flat, in that as it followed the false keel the centre was about 3mm lower than the bow and stern. is this right? I am thinking about how to fit the walls on what is now a sloping floor and planking it.

advice from you experts gratefully received.   Reynard

Reynard,

perhaps you might send send us a picture of the condition that you are describing.  As the saying goes, “One picture is worth a thousand words.”  One we better understand your problem I’m sure that you will get a response.  You can add a picture by clicking the Add Files below.  Once you have uploaded the picture, click the + sign on the box with the picture to add it to your post.

Roger

As a river boat, many did a camber on the deck.   If haven't search in the kit area for the year for this ship and see if there's a log on it.  The other thing is glue up the false keel and the parts you have shown in the first photo.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ships and boats are built with Sheer and Camber.  

Sheer is curvature in the fore and aft (longitudinal) direction.  The result of sheer is to cause the bow of the boat to be higher above the water (the term is Freeboard) to keep waves from breaking over the bow and flooding the deck.

Camber is curvature across the deck (from side to side called Athwartships). Its purpose is to help water that does come aboard to drain over the side.

Since river boats operated in protected waters big waves were not a problem, but sheer provided another attractive feature, it improved the boat’s appearance.  In a competitive market, appearance counted.

From the pictures that you have posted it appears that the kit designer intended the hull to have sheer.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett