Marie Celeste by Bill Hudson - Steingraeber - salvaging an old model kit

There seems to be some confusion over the name Marie Celeste.   In 1861 the ship was originally launched as the Amazon. In 1868 it was renamed the Mary Celeste. In a fictional story the ship was called Marie Celeste. From Wikipedia: "Marie Celeste is not a misspelling of Mary Celeste.* Marie Celeste is the name of a ship in a work of fiction. It is based on a real event involving a ship called Mary Celeste. The author changed the name when writing the story, and the change has caused confusion to the extent that many people believe Marie Celeste to be the name of the real vessel. It's not a misspelling; it's a misunderstanding."

Edited by Bill Hudson
spelling correction

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

I have not given up on this ship.  I will continue to (at this time) call it the Marie Celeste as that was the fictitious name. So at this point it is a factitious ship model. ;)

This forum is a great resource for information plus it has a lot of knowledgeable people willing to help. 

I found out, with the help from shotlocker  that I was missing the sheer strakes.  Since I had already primed the hull I had to scrape off some of the primer and then glue on the sheer strakes. The plywood with the stamped parts, that came with the kit, was so bad that I had abandon it. I will have to cut some new stock to make the channels and rudder. I will build up the mast tops when I need to. I have already bent the top rail (gunnel) from mahogany but will wait until later to install them.

sheer - 1.jpeg

Edited by Bill Hudson

Still stumbling along on this kit.  As said before all parts we're embossed on a piece of plywood. Between quality and age it is impossible to saw out the parts with out it splintering even with a backup. I found some walnut same thickness and made the channels from that. I ground through the primer to wood and tried the epoxy again. Had problems holding the channels in place while the epoxy set. I found a little bottle of very fine bronze nails about .018" (#77) shanks.  I drilled two .020 (#76) holes through the edge of the channel, applied a couple dabs  of epoxy and nailed them in place. Next will be making the rudder from probably walnut again. 

channels - 1 copy.jpeg

Edited by Bill Hudson

Every little success counts!

You're doing a fine job with the old lady 🙂

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I decided to change course a little and concentrate on the mast tops. As I said before the material (plywood) is plain crap.  I decided to try to build the tops more closely to correct with in my capabilities. The platform, trestle trees and cross trees are made from maple. I have yet to make the cheeks.

I am not sure if this ship would have had wooldlings on the masts and if so would they have been rope or metal bands.  

tops - 1.jpeg

tops - 1 (2).jpeg

tops - 1 (1).jpeg

Edited by Bill Hudson

Changing subject is always a good diversion for the mind.

And by somemagic the brain works in the background coming up with solutions or inspiration tot he previous task. 😉

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

1 hour ago, Bill Hudson said:

Still developing the masts and bowsprit.  I feel I am reaching a point where I can move on to something else on the ship. The instructions and details are very minimum so I am winging it. 

masts - 1.jpeg

Hi Bill,

I believe Marie C was a "general" ship of era and any ship's rigging would fit for her too, with more or less accuracy. I'd use respective parts of any barque, of course for 2 masts brigantine and omit the surplus masts.

I'm making slow progress on the ship model. I used waxed linen thread which I blackened with black felt pen. I feel it gives look of tarred rope at this scale, hard to tell in the pictures. . Also spent part of a morning making eye bolts. About 1/16 od ring.

bowsprit - 1 (2).jpeg

bowsprit - 1.jpeg

eyelets - 1.jpeg

Edited by Bill Hudson

As my time says "salvaging…" The wheel that was in the kit is metallic coated plastic about 12mm OD. It is very fragile and had several knobs broken off. I have not been able to find a replacement in that size so I made an attempt at salvaging it as best as possible by drilling out the rim  and gluing in bits of 24ga brass wire. I built the wires up with glue but not able to form a ball on the end. Perhaps at a  later date I can machine a new one. I also have been building some of the deck furniture and bending mahogany for the gunnel. Going is slow.1645809836_wheel-1copy.thumb.jpeg.a441859230bde06acc9fc411254791cd.jpeg1234779144_wheel-1.thumb.jpeg.8d50ff8c4fce5e86b3337b3b132462eb.jpeg an attempt to try to salvage it. 

bits - 1.jpeg

Wheel looks okay I'd say.

Well salvaged 🙂

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Hi Bill,

Although the wheel is good in this form, you might try to solder a blob at the end of the copper wire. But before try this, you must remove the wire out, because the soldering heat will melt out the wheel.

Other thing i can think of the 'magic sculpt' epoxy putty, easy and cheap to order. But after all, i'd leave the wheel as is now.

• 4 weeks later...