US Brig Syren by SparrowHawk7 - Model Shipways - 1:64 - First build

Not a bad result, Ken. 👍🏽 Remember she’s not going to be mounted belly side up!  Besides, you get to start working on the little fiddly deck bits now!  Onwards!!!

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

4 hours ago, Overworked724 said:

Remember she’s not going to be mounted belly side up!  

She's not??? Say it ain't so!! All that work and it isn't going to be the highlight of the model altogether?But wait a second now ... that also means the mistakes won't be highlighted. That's right .. there's always a silver lining. That's a good thing then. OK ... I'm with ya. I'll mount her hull side down then. :)

Edited by SparrowHawk7

Sorry, Ken. Hope I didn’t offend. Was meant to be supportive as I talk myself into jumping in my own coppering!  (A bit nervous)  Happy New Year!!

Edited by Overworked724

I wasn't offended at all. I thought it was quite funny actually ... that was just my way of laughing at it. I think I can safely say that coppering isn't my favorite task. It is rather tedious but all hobbies have favorite tasks and others less so. I will be glad when the coppering is done. Part of one side of the hull and the rudder. But then, there is always next time. Sigh. I am contemplating the HMS Pegasus as my next build.

Ken

• 5 weeks later...

Contrary to rumors spreading like wildfire, I have not been entirely idle. I have been suffering from a certain amount of inertia it's true, but it hasn't been total. Keep in mind my planking of the stern was, well, unique seems a good word to describe it. I sort of made up the hull configuration which worked out somewhat balanced so that was at least something. But I curved up to the base of the apartments too early so there is way too much flat planking too low down. It is what it is and I have to carry on an accommodate that change which means designing my own rudder and figuring out where holes ought to go and how to mount it. To that end I have been working recently. I still have to shape the holes in the hull but I am in pretty good shape other than that. I glued on the false keel and sanded it. The piece I glued onto the bottom of the rudder fell off in sanding but that is an easy one to replace.

IMG_0662.jpg.06a392b7d6e26f9d1ed225372c49989d.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg.bf779dea49c485c312bc68d0e763e715.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg.c8ae9db5662ff8e950edfb0dc2212f31.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg.158611e33fb2e8f1c5a72f46caee1c37.jpg

Which brings me to another rather major issue. Somehow I seem to have mislaid all the brass and PE pieces, metal and other accessories that came with the kit. Don't ask me how but I cannot find the box anywhere. I will deal with other problems as they arise but just now I have no brass pintles/gudgions. Good luck finding replacements. What I did was order some 1/4" x 12" strips of brass from K&S Metals which can be fashioned. I would have preferred 1/8" wide but all I could find in that width were angle irons. Somewhere I read that the real ship ended up using copper from the plates so the 1/4" will work and I can make the rest of the attachments from that and have it look OK so that isn't such a big deal. I did get much better at putting down copper plating by the time I finished the stern so that looks reasonable in spite of being wrongly shaped. I will work on attaching the rudder next and then I can make the parts on deck to attach it to the wheel. So I am slowly progressing and getting closer to deck furniture/housings. I am thinking the cannons aren't very much further ahead of me either as they have rigging to be done and that is definitely easier before adding any shrouds or other standing rigging. It's slow but it is moving ahead and it best viewed at a distance so as not to notice the messed up details.  One thing is definitely for sure ... my model is pretty unique BY A LONG MARGIN.

Thanks for your patience and for continuing to watch.

Ken

Can you reach out to Shipways (Model Expo) to get a replacement?  I did that for my frames when they were warped out of the box. No issues. They were really good for customer service. 

Edited by Overworked724

Hi Patrick,

My brother had started the Syren a few years ago but his build met with a catastrophic end after he had the basic frame glued up. It was not fixable so he sent me the kit. In the meantime I had a leg amputated and my attention was elsewhere so I forgot all about it but it turned up a month ago and has all the doodads that I have misplaced I think ... so I may be i fine shape after all. I haven't had a chance to check it out but I am hopeful. :)

I did contact Model Shipways last year because my kit was missing the ship's bell. They replaced it quickly which  I appreciated. And, mind you, I still HAVE that bell ... but lost just about everything else. Go figure.

Ken

Edited by SparrowHawk7

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys. Bet you had thought I had disappeared. Nope ... I did have some trouble with my motivation for quite some time because that coppering was very difficult for me. Then I fund soimething even more frustrating with the rudder. I am NOT a fan of CA glue because it dries white. Last time I posted I mentioned I had lost the brass for the pintles and gudgeons. Model Shipways was kind enough to send me 2 more pieces at no charge so I finally got to move on. The first pintle was easy. I bent the brass around a drill shank and shaped it with pliers. Then I soldered a steel length of wire into the hole. The second one was a bit worse and the third was horrendous. Most people get better with practice ... I guess I forgot to read that memo. Attaching them to the rudder was OK but I should have used something other than CA. The gudgeons were another story. Getting the round receptacles for the shaft/pins in the right place was very difficult. And the rudder was only tenuously in place so I tried more CA to firm it up. It doesn't need to rotate anyway. More globs of residue. Overall it took me several weeks. I did the best I could but the CA left a lot of residue and that ruined the copper and the brass. I tried to paint them with approximate colors but it looks horrible. However after spending so much time on it and not really wanting to tear everything apart down to the bare hull again, I decided to leave it. This is, after all my first try at a wooden ship so I can't expect it to be all that great anyway. I can cover the white CA with paint which will help some but it's a pretty poor job overall. The copper is going to be a bit tricky.

IMG_0692.jpg.51f62ad004ee5af0105a9f74ce8a8cda.jpg

Then came the rest of the stern.  In gluing the top arch I managed to break it in several places and there were gaps after I glued it down. So I decided to fill the gaps with putty and sand them smooth. That didn't look too good as bare wood so I decided to paint it black. That let the ornaments stand out better anyway as they were painted yellow ochre. Oddly enough I didn't have much trouble getting the ship name on there but the CA again left all sorts of light residue.

IMG_0690.jpg.4020c49143925bc8236a32a5b5c03f52.jpg

So there is where I am. Yesterday I went in to start the two sheaves and rings behind he false estate sidings and managed to break every single drill bit I had that was close to the right size forcing me ot have to order more. So now I wait another day or two. Sigh. But on the bright side I am still making a little headway even though it is in fits and starts. I don't quit easily though so I am plugging onward.

Thanks for looking in spite of there being nothing of much worth in the build so far. However, I am going to try to get better with practice (at least that is the plan) so you should see some improvement over the next couple years.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I've been at it again on the cap rails. Rather difficult as there were no pre-cut pieces. I found some planks that were close enough and tried to bend them to fit. No go which forced me to use straight lengths as long as I could and fit in more along their sides to cover the width necessary. I saw that the width was supposed to be around 1/16" wider than the width of the bulwarks so I tried to adhere to that. Mostly I sanded things down to the right width - I noticed I still have a bit to do along that line in one place in particular (see photos). It is not very clean looking as there are seams in many placed. I used wood filler and sanded before painting but it still shows. The bow with the largest bends was cut by hand from a sheet of 1/16" basswood as there was no way straight pieces were ever going to fit there. Next time a better way would be to scan and print sections from the top view of the master plans then cut them to size. Next trace them onto sheet stock or just tape them on it and cut the sheet out to close to the right size. It would probably be easier to make each side into 3 or so lengths. Then sand them to shape before installing them. Oh well ... my hindsight is getting better and better as I stumble along in the forward direction. But I am making headway and not terribly unhappy with the outcome (we won't mention that rudder). There are obviously many areas that need touchup paint all around the hull but that's reasonably simple.

IMG_0695.jpg.043b5c6e43a9abc7791d5c0c68d32061.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg.cafc2517f0b188a37547ba374bf01cb0.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg.66d49cfed70bdc5600905163bf7d9004.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg.88eb0c0a9eb94f1a204deddbb2617dd6.jpg

I also did the false galleries on the sides.

IMG_0700.jpg.1e138cf424466d8978ca59094f80bd0c.jpg

Learning things all the time. But for a first build it's not a disaster (especially since I am modelling he as she looked on the day of her scuttling). Onward and upward. :)

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back although nothing new particularly. I spent quite some time getting my tripod arranged so as to get you fine people better/clearer photos. That also required a remote. I tried 2 bluetooth remotes without any success whatsoever so they got sent back and I got a wired remote which worked, but I discovered I will need remote flash units. I wore myself out by then and had to put that off for another day. But I did get two shots without extra lighting which I will share with you now. I have two remote flash units which I will figure out and share later. Both were time lapse but I can't seem to repeat them so something is amiss. Sigh, it's always something.

IMG_0723.jpg.ab110312ac59c23def8147ce643d1b20.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg.f3b95d48c11838b1b30bfcbf2613e84f.jpg

This has to be better for you guys.  I'm just a crotchitty old man whose eyesight is failing badly so I can't hardly tell.

Ken

Edited by SparrowHawk7