I am looking for a Vanda-Lay Industries Treenail Maker.  Does anyone have one of these that they would sell.  i saw this device on one of Kevin Kenny's videos.  Looks like it works well but it is no longer made.

Kent

Kent

Years ago I found that these are  limited to a few diameters and do not work any better than a simple steel draw plate.   Most treenails are from 1" to 1.5" diameter so scale sizes for 1:48 would be from 0.02 to 0.03 and for 1:64, they would be .015 to .023.   Obviously smaller needs for smaller scales, but treenails on scales less than 1:64 are VERY difficult to make with any device and usually wind up making the model look like it has the measles.   There are so many models shown here that are excellent, then some are ruined with out of scale treenails.  They serve little purpose for strength unless you use bamboo which works beautifully with a good quality draw plate such as the ones offered by one of our sponsors,  Jim Byrnes.  I am only speaking from my own experience.  Others have gone to monofilament and other solutions.  Again, be wary of making oversized trennals, regardless of the method you choose.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Vanda-Lay treenail maker - Building, Framing, Planking and plating a ships hull and deck - Model Ship World™

I have all three cutters they used to make. The smallest one is very difficult to use, the hardwood tends to break during cutting. The other two work OK, if you carefully use hardwood, like cherry, maple, pear, and the best of all - boxwood. I successfully made lots of treenails, also used an extension tube to cut them longer.

But, if you want to make your treenails from bamboo, it is better to use a drawplate. Bamboo has long and strong fibres that tolerate firm pulling.

If however you want to make your treenails from hardwoods, the treenail maker works better  - because you're pushing the wood, not pulling (provided that the cutter size is correct for your scale).