Albert Baldwin c. 1890 by Steve Harvath - Granite sloop

I have decided to build a waterline model of the granite sloop Albert Baldwin ca. 1890.  It will fit in my harbor scene of the same period.  The other craft and the wharf and railroad transfer bridge in the diorama are built to 1 inch equals 48 inch scale. I have the plans which are conveniently 1/4 inch to the foot scale.  These are from 1930 by Howard Chapelle.

I am planning on challenging myself and build it plank on bulkhead.  

IMG_2049.jpg

Did I mention that both my parents grew up in Stockton? High school sweethearts at Franklin, class of '59. My mom lived between Cherokee Lane and Waterloo Road, and dad lived on the other side of 99 off Walker Lane. One grandpa worked at Sharpe Army Depot, the other was a night watchman at Rough and Ready Island. Still have family in the area.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Steve,

She's a great subject.  If you do a waterline model you lose the image of a centerboard boat.  I considered building her, but size limitations prohibited same.  

Good luck with the project.

Maury

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,  Stockton CA is still interesting.  I love having a deep water port with several bulk carriers a week and a purpose built ship that just carries super long lengths of railroad rail.

I traced the stem shape onto some vellum.  I used white carpenter's glue to glue it to a 1/4 thick piece of Basswood.   Coping saw, sandpaper and knife were used to carve it out.

IMG_2057.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am finally back to the build of the Albert Baldwin.  After a cross country move and discouraging false starts on planking.  I have been following the tutorials and think I am making progress.  I steamed the bow end of the first plank and it seems to fit well.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d457e7e8d1481819f4de76498179f1f.jpeg

• 5 months later...

I have now finished planking the starboard side. I am sure this side will be the non-display side. It was a real learning experience and I think I can do much better on the port side.  Finding the right clamps and places to clamp was hard on some of the planks. 

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

• The title was changed to Albert Baldwin c. 1890 by Steve Harvath - Granite sloop