San Francisco II by Mike - Artesania Latina - 1:90

Keith, thanks for info!

Luckily, my keel is not warped (yet), maybe because it is quite thick, or because I glued the decks already (so they add some strength).

Edited by Mike Y

Having the deck on really helps lock the bulkheads in place.

I cant remember now will out reading back... did you use heat in bending the planking? On that single plank mahogany wet and heat really help. I find my sealing iron great at forcing that thin second planking into shape also. I purchased it after seeing the excellent job it did on Randy's (lamarvalley) SF. I cant wait to see your hull sanded and finished. Randy used tung oil and it really made the mahogany Glow. Have you thought about finishes yet? 

Thanks for your interest, Keith! Of course I soaked planks first and then used an iron on a high temp to bend them. This mahogany is quite thick and hard, its impossible to bend it without soaking and heating :)

Also bought a sealing iron, but it works only with 110v power source, and power converters for that wattage are quite expensive. And then it turned out that a regular clothing iron also does the job pretty well ;) Can sell the sealing iron if somebody needs it really.

About finishes - will use an acrylic transparent matte paint, already tried it on a deck and some samples, looks quite ok. Decided not to use oil, because it will highlight the difference between different planks, that mahogany strips in the kit are a bit different from each other on a grain and color.

Hey Mike. Nice work so far!

FYI - I've had three Artesania kits and have ALWAYS had to purchase more wood for some section or another.

- Bug

Hi Mike

I think your planking looks great.  AL is about as skimpy on material as they are on instructions.  My SFII kit has the exact amount of stanchions, blocks, eyebolts etc. needed.  Not a single spare.  It forces one to work really carefully and sparingly.

Wolf

Current build : San Francisco II (AL)