Where to find doors and hatches for a modern ship - 1:100 scale

Hello friends!

I need your kind help. For one of my builds I am in need of a particular type of door, as shown in the picture:

DSC05974.thumb.JPG.bc37eac82c1b05b4cfcca5f679ce65de.JPG

The main problem here is that the doors supplied in the kit are totally different, like so:

1515729735_ARMCuau(58).thumb.jpg.235f2ad0c085d6cce0c692c69ce4103b.jpg

Even if I decided to carve the inner, wooden door directly from the ship's wall, I need the second, outer watertight hatch. I am thinking of transforming the zamak part provided, but then I need the wheel. These would need to be around ~2mm in diameter. I don't know how to solve this situation, or if any such aftermarket part would be available somewhere. I have so far looked in some stores without success. I do not want to have to manufacture these tiny pieces myself: I need 12 of them!

What should I do? Your opinion is welcome.

Thank you!

Eurus

My logs:

Providence Whaleboat

ARM Cuauhtémoc

Eurus, a 2mm wheel is less than a tenth of an inch. This is so small I don't think you're going to be able to get any detail though there are folks doing incredible things with 3D printers. Were it I, I'd make a 2mm circle from card, wood or brass, paint is white and call it good. I assume this is for the Cuauhtemoc? 

19 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Eurus, a 2mm wheel is less than a tenth of an inch. This is so small I don't think you're going to be able to get any detail though there are folks doing incredible things with 3D printers. Were it I, I'd make a 2mm circle from card, wood or brass, paint is white and call it good. I assume this is for the Cuauhtemoc? 

Yes, it's for the Cuauhtemoc. That's a pic of the real ship that serves as an excellent reference.

I re-checked the scale and measurements and probably a 3-4mm diameter wheel would do the trick as well. I agree that these are very small details, and that is why I want to avoid scratch-building them if possible.

I believe such a part exists--there's lots of WWII warship models which potentially use these wheels or hatches. I am considering cannibalizing and repurposing small jewelry pieces, chain links or even steering wheels from Hot Wheels toy cars.

Eurus

My logs:

Providence Whaleboat

ARM Cuauhtémoc

These wheels are available in sizes sub-2mm and larger in brass photo etch.

If you google GPM card models this will bring up a Polish site where I have seen them previously.

I can't remember if the PE fret contains multiple diameters or 1 fret per size.

I agree 3 or 4mm wheels will be more in keeping with scale.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hello Eurus,

As Roger said above you should be able to find something to use for the wheel such as N scale model Railroad brake wheels (see below) in photo etched metal.  I thought I had something that could work in plastic but I didn't find it in a quick search of my inventory.

If I recall Gold Metal Models may have offered water tight type doors (USN), but don't hold me to that.

Good Luck,

MCB

20210801_203900 (2) edit 1.jpg

15 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

tt scale that is 1:100

Roger, with the greatest respect, TT scale is 1:120

Edited by Keith Black

Thanks everyone for your very useful answers!

4 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

These wheels are available in sizes sub-2mm and larger in brass photo etch.

If you google GPM card models this will bring up a Polish site where I have seen them previously.

I can't remember if the PE fret contains multiple diameters or 1 fret per size.

I agree 3 or 4mm wheels will be more in keeping with scale.

Cheers

Slog

3 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

HO Model Railroad scale is 1:87 and is very common, at least here in the US.  There is also a tt scale that is 1:100.  Railroads use lots of hand wheels so you should be able to find something from a model railroad supplier.

I don't know a lot about trains, but definitely that appears to be the best option.

2 hours ago, mcb said:

Hello Eurus,

As Roger said above you should be able to find something to use for the wheel such as N scale model Railroad brake wheels (see below) in photo etched metal.  I thought I had something that could work in plastic but I didn't find it in a quick search of my inventory.

If I recall Gold Metal Models may have offered water tight type doors (USN), but don't hold me to that.

Good Luck,

MCB

20210801_203900 (2) edit 1.jpg

Well, that's exactly what I need! Thank you MCB for the picture. Now I know what to look for. There's a model train supplier nearby, I hope they have one of those. The size seems perfect.

As long as I can get my hands on one of those photo-etch cards, I can make the doors out of scrap wood or tiny metal pieces. That would solve the problem.

Thank you!

Eurus

My logs:

Providence Whaleboat

ARM Cuauhtémoc

In the fifie I’m building, the steam winch had EP wheel installed. the Ep card had an extra one. They are a about 2.5 mm dia.  I think these would be available on line

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.