President by newbee - Mantua/Sergal

this build log was started as a continuation of my San Francisco II as I hadn't thought of creating a new subject. I will see if I can move the first part of the post from there over the next few days. I also haven't been able to figure out how to add to my post so in the past I simply replied to it and added the info. I shall be adding more later. Here are a few photos of the progress so far.   

IMG_20210712_185434.jpg

IMG_20210712_185447.jpg

IMG_20210710_222126.jpg

IMG_20210710_222211.jpg

IMG_20210710_222228.jpg

IMG_20210710_223112.jpg

IMG_20210710_223642.jpg

IMG_20210713_233223.jpg

IMG_20210712_233503.jpg

IMG_20210712_185519.jpg

IMG_20210712_191819.jpg

IMG_20210713_181516.jpg

IMG_20210713_233102.jpg

IMG_20210713_233108.jpg

IMG_20210713_233118.jpg

IMG_20210713_233143.jpg

Jumping in to follow - as I've this kit in line to be done.

Looking good so far.

Have you looked at the other completed builds on here yet? Recommended if not. (most of the builders haven't visited this site in a long time).

The carronade supplied are way out of the date range given for this model, so even it's being described as representative isn't entirely correct, something acknowledged in most builds. Some have used them, some have replaced them.

The earliest mention of carronade is (Wikipedia ) 1759, and it's inventor joined Carron in 1765. Production started in 1778, and the first fully carronade Royal Navy ship was around 1781-2. Before then it was marketed to merchantmen.

Other than that it's a nice model, and as it's been said many a time in many builds, it's your model and you build it to your wishes, with only helpful advise given.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

• 2 months later...

Yes, so far it look great. I too have found some errors as far Sergal kits are concerned and what is represented as proper for the period of the ship, That dose not mean that the carronades can not be replaced, I have this kit as well waiting for it's turn. I plan to make time to research it ship before I start the build.

Great start I I hope to follow you progress if yo don't mind

Ric

• 11 months later...

Firstly, I want to apologise for being away for so long. For some reason I was unable to add photos, combined with not being a good at typing as well as me working, eating building and sleeping, I don't have the patience to spend hours on the computer on top. I am, however going to try my best to set aside a couple of hours each weekend to add to future posts. Unfortunately, I have placed the president in dry dock / shelf for now. I didn't enjoy building it as much as I hoped I would. I think mainly down to the era, not being a real warship nor having the accurate details I had expected. On top of that, having fitted the masts and bow sprit I ended up redoing the shrouds on the fore main masts several times while doing the ratlines. At this time, I saw Occre's Golden Hind. This I could really relate to as I grew up in Appledore and watched her being built, launched and fitted out when I was a kid, so I was compelled to buy her. After another couple of attempts at the rigging I gave up on the president. 

My next post will be my 2nd version of the Golden Hind. The reason for which will become clear from the start of the log. I shall try to at least add photos of how the president looked when shelved. I shall attempt this over this weekend. In the meantime, thanks for your comments and sorry for not being back for a year now.