Cutty Sark by Bob Fraser - Mini Mamoli - 1/250

Decided on this from my small stash of models as it looks like as fun build without too much detail.

As you can see, it's an older version - This is NOT the Dusek version which is much better.

1---Box.thumb.jpg.1f5e4e814e79335b930102864eb946c6.jpg2---Contents.thumb.jpg.73abb2820b7e78bc1e67dfb5731701b7.jpg

Box contents - not a huge amount!

3---contents.thumb.jpg.da71b10919c6ec7568cd104b3464900b.jpg

Solid hull will need some shaping.  Wheel all wrong, added 1 ships boat, eyes, pins and 2 more ladders to the contents.

The slotted pieces usually used for gratings are meant to be the guard railings.

4---Hull.thumb.jpg.f8834d9a6a51368f6bdd5caf53328355.jpg

5---Bow.thumb.jpg.3a414b48c8c9332d45d5bd9411de82b5.jpg

A small start, but much to do to get a reasonable shape 😅

With a bit of luck I may be able to pull this off - Lets see!

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

Perhaps some 'plastic wood' filler might 'fill-out' the bow area.  Instead of the wood grate stock as railings, pins stanchions with thread (or very thin wire) may be better.  Beads for dead eyes might do.  Think 'out og the box'.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

16 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

pins stanchions with thread (or very thin wire) may be better.  Beads for dead eyes might do.

Great minds and all that 😄

I've had this stashed away for just over 11 years. Way back then I made some notes on the instructions about using pins for the stanchions. I've some very this beading wire for the rails.

Never thought about beads for deadeyes though - good idea that, cheers! (Even the largest 10" deadeyes come out at only 1mm diameter) I'll try mounting one into an eyebolt for the lower as an experiment.

Got some more shaping on the hull to do yet, and as you suggest wood filler (got none - need to buy some!)  to smooth the lines off.

I've added the keel, stemson and stern deadwood with an initial shaping.

image.thumb.jpeg.aa0406c12d6ad89e424785e73337f7d3.jpeg

Now that they're in place I can recheck their length and shape ( stem not quite as sharp as it should be and deadwood not as far back as it needs to be I think), and the hull is still too convex.

More work tomorrow, as other duties call today.

Cheers for now,

Bob

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

Not much done - some comparisons to Longridges plans showing how far off this hull really is.

7---Longridge.thumb.jpg.fa4a5591a53e9883a026b626438d8ff0.jpg

Scanned and scaled to size - I know the creases affect the drawing slightly, but these pics are waay bigger than the model.

8---Keel-comparison.thumb.jpg.0f05c21a04e59e5122f9ae8f1e69e0e9.jpg

Cut from the profile showing how the hull shape differs

9---Stem.thumb.jpg.1a4d542de7ddb06bf3c09b23e4ab56e1.jpg

Midships section is just on correct but ->

10---Stern.thumb.jpg.6ed0d16e69e337f4115243fcbc34bb3a.jpg

Shows how much extra needs to be added.

10a---Stern.thumb.jpg.6f37ee76d159dfc4d62d7263b98c4bc2.jpg

Some shaping required!

I'm also using the 1/96th Revell hull as a visual guideline.

Let's see how I go from here - first job fix the keel, stem and stern pieces and sort the profiling after.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Not much done -  a bit of sanding but then had the space taken over.

Daughter had created a character, costume and storyline for it for a book, and wanted a costume for Liverpool ComiCon. A Mushroom hat needed to be made, 2'6" diameter with gills and inkdrops.

image.thumb.jpeg.de1fffeffb68e1ac71d5f685f314a9bc.jpeg

This is how it all turned out.  She wanted some selfies with other people, but it turned out more wanted a picture with her!

Big brother took her, and they both ended up as one of the days star costumes Go to page 3

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Long delay- lots of filling, waiting 24hs, sanding, repeat. Break beakhead, fix, repeat.

We're just about right I think. Added a new false keel, sternpiece and stempiece, shaped the beakhead and cut out the forecastle to make and fit an approximation of the anchor winch.

11--profile.thumb.jpg.e6649c5cb296169a58621ab4d989b1fb.jpg12--underside.thumb.jpg.e8a275ee461e83aa12c581f609761df6.jpg

Looks smooth until you get to the close up shot!

13--forecastle.jpg.bd584d09967a80398875eb8e239fee29.jpg

Needs a final sand and smoothing with 1000grit before painting, plus the sides raising.

Spare time not wasted -

NO measurements given for any of the deck houses so I've measured them on the 1/96th and converted to 1/250th, or as close as I can cut 😅 !

I can post them if anyones interested.

Going out of my comfort zone after the hull is finished with enhancement ideas.

Got some Evergreen strips to see about simulating at least some of the door frames and mouldings.

Portholes - instructions say glue little rings meaning eyelets.  

For the moment they'll be drilled out although I have an idea for proper looking ones using drilled out plastic sprue to give an outer ring.  We'll see.

I've also measured for the spreaders and main tops for scratch build.

And to top it all I've had to redo my PC from scratch.

Cheers for now,

Edited by Bob Fraser

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the looks and likes!

As usual other things really slowed this down, however some updates.

I started to paint the coppered hull, but it looked awful. So i tried copper tape rivetted with a pounce wheel.

At this scale the proper look was a bit too tiny for me, but I think this looks ok-ish. 
(The pic is much larger than the model!)

14--coppered.thumb.jpg.b566415eab96b318bad3382d944d87a0.jpgFor the rubbing strakes I used Evergreen strips of varying thickness, 0.5mm x 0.2 or 0.1

15--rubbingstrakes.thumb.jpg.b2e41d8b335b1cc729ffff6e61d0a938.jpg

Not perfect, but a little better than the slab of wood with painted rope that the instructions say.

Next job, try and fit a bulwark rail :-) and the rudder to fit.

Cheers for now,

Bob