Flying Fish by Jared - Model Shipways - 1:96

Since the last update I have begun working on the the topmasts & bowsprit.  These have been loosely mounted on the ship.  In the past few days I have built the top on the fore topmast (see photo).  I will be painting the top white.  The trickiest thing about building top was the fabricating and mounting the cleats on the spreader.  I had to try different types of wood incl. multilayer strips before I finally found something I could cut without the tiny wood pieces falling apart.

Fore Topmast Top.JPG

@Jared, you might consider strengthening the spreaders a bit. I glued a strip of brass on the underside before painting. It's not obvious and it kept things from breaking on more than one occasion.

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update.  The spreaders on the 3 topmasts.  I was hoping to start adding the blocks to the masts, but discovered on size of blocks was missing from my kit.  While I await the missing parts from Model Expo, I will work on the bowsprit and jib-boom.

I implemented your suggestion George to strengthen the spreaders with copper strip on the main topmast and mizzen topmast spreaders.  I added copper strip where I could on the already completed spreader on the fore topmast as doing otherwise would have required a complete rebuild of the structure.  Adding the cleats to the 2 new spreaders went much better than what I encountered on  the fore topmast.  Put it down to learning from experience and using finer tweezers.

Spreaders 2.JPG

Spent all day today building the dolphin striker.  This tiny part turned out to be one of the most challenging pieces to date.  All of the small metal fittings on the dolphin striker were made by bending thin blackened copper wire.  For the  lower metal band I used adhesive copper tape.  The lower fitting was made from a single piece of wire.

On another note, I mentioned that I discovered the other day that I was missing one size of wooden blocks.  I contacted Model Expo and soon after I received a reply that the missing blocks were on the way.  What fantastic customer service!! 

FF_JF_Dolphin Striker.JPG

Edited by Jared

I've had good experience with Model Expo's customer service as well.  Even though I bought my Flying Fish in 1996, ME sent me a complete set of bulkheads, keel and planksheer to replace the parts that I screwed up. (see my build log to see how bad I did).  No questions asked.   Now, I'll just start over and do it right this time.  I hope to be back working on the Fish soon.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

They do have good customer service. I needed more brass for my Fish

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Over the weekend I made significant progress on the Bowsprit, Jib Boom and Dolphin Striker.  The work on the Bowsprit and Jib Boom was fairly easy.  The paint scheme is as per James Buttersworth's Flying Fish painting.  The various holes for the ring bolts and other rigging components are difficult to see but have been completed. 

FF_JF_Bowsprit.JPG

Edited by Jared

Lots of progress Jared; looking absolutely great!