Full planking vs. BH to BH planling

Hi,

I was looking the building logs and I found this log that uses small planks between bulkheads for the first planking level.

I think this method wastes less wood and it is also simpler to make.

Is there any advantage in making the first planking layer with full planks (from bow to stern)?

Current building

Santisima trinidad cross section - Occre - 1:90

Finished

Bounty Boat - OCCRE - 1:24

I have asked this awhile ago and I got the same answer that Trippwj has given. I use full length strips for the first layer for strength as well. Other than that I don't know any other advantages of this practice.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

If you've never planked a hull before, or are still learning, it is good practice to use full length planks, without having to worry too much about the appearance of the end result.

It will also result in a smoother, and, as has been said before, stronger hull form.

And having looked at that log... A lot less work too...

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I can see no advantage of using short planks for the first layer. In fact I see lots of issues. Short planks for the first layer will not be a good surface to lay your 2nd layer on, they will be harder to get smooth etc. Now for the second layer that is a different story. Many modelers try to make it look authentic and will use scale length planks.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Everyone has preferences, but I'd think short planks are more work and would give a poorer surface for the second planking. Every time they cross a bulkhead it would have a sharp transition whereas a long plank would bend at the bulkhead leaving a smooth surface. It's an interesting idea, but I'll stick with full-length planks for first layer planking.

From about as far from the ocean as you can get in North America!

My current first build the AVS was done using scaled length planks and following rules for the butt shift pattern.  I did both layers using this method with the first layers' butts shifted 1 bulkhead so they were at different locations. With the size and scale of this kit, the planks end up in two pieces, I found this easier to plank than trying to get a full length taper and fit at each end. This was especially true on the bow, where I ended up doing some spiled (curved) planks. I would taper the planks to fit at the bow or stern for a clean fit then cut it to a clean fit at the butt joint.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred