Red Baron by EatMoreLobster (Susan) - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 3/8" scale

First time model builder here.  Just got back from Maine and visited the BlueJacket model store where I picked up the Red Baron lobster boat.  My idea of beginner is a little more basic but after studying the instructions and looking up ship/boat parts terminology, I think I've figured out which side faces which part of the boat.    The blueprints are very useful as well.  

I was concerned about the side I primed in the bottom left section of my photo because I lost all the detail, but after looking through finished photos of the same build it seems okay.  If not, the kit contained a second cutout that I think was a duplicate sent by mistake so I can redo if needed.  

I am only on step 2 so any comments/critiques along the way are much appreciated.  

first model.jpg

Hello Susan and welcome to MSW from the UK.

From the clues it looks like you chose a subject near to your heart: lobster! Glad to see a build log of this subject, working boats make attractive models.

Perhaps you care to post something in the new members introductions thread?

Regards.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

welcome, to some normality 

im also from the UK

here is the link to a completed version

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I finished the prep work today, built my cradle and started shaping the bow line.  The hull was shaped well but around the bow was a big "bulb" of wood that is taking a lot of time to sand off and make the front of the boat taper correctly.  I keep getting it uneven.  Everyone's photos on the build site are helping me see that I still have more shaping and sanding to get it to a point around the bow.  I should be able to finish it tomorrow.  I forgot to take a before photo but will be happy to post the after photo when I get it shaped.  

Hi Susan,

That "big bulb" of wood at the bow is the leftovers from when the hull was machined, most solid wood hulls have them, and usually another at the stern. Once you are used to shaping solid hulls you can usually sand those "bulbs" off quickly with a rotary tool.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

• 10 months later...