British Carronade, 1780. Scale 1:17

This project is based on the Mantua model '1:17 British naval carronade from XVIII century'. Compared to the 36lb French naval gun from Mantua, in same scale, this one looks more accurate. The scratch-built parts are not so many and mostly out from the box. I decided to give a 'weathered' and heavily used appearance. I am quite satisfied with the final result.

carronade.png

Edited by Ugo Crisponi

Very nice display Ugo!!   Was the idea of an elevating wedge from the kit?   I had never before seen a British carronade with a wedge in  place of an elevation screw.  I checked all the carronade drawings in Caruana and Lavery's books and photos of contemporary models but none show a wedge, thus my question to you.  Hope you don't mind.

Thanks Ugo

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Carronades can be found with joint or with trunnions, they also can be found with elevating screw and round breech rings, or with elevating screw and a quoin patch (where the casting engravings were moved as it was a large flat surface, and the trunnion was absent on most naval carronades ~ where the marking would normally be done), or with a simpler button and just a quoin.

The addition of the quoin patch to the naval version of the carronade was a consequence of failures of the elevation mechanism with the "as first cast" cast iron housing for the elevation screw, after this was replaced by a brass bushing (similar to the reasoning behind bushing the vent), the wear and resistance to cracking were improved. The Quoin could also be used to give more depression than the elevation screw. As far as I can tell the provision of both was normal for most of the use of naval carronades.

The carronades represented on Victory for example have a quoin under their quoin patch, but are also fitted for an elevation screw on the piece (this is missing from the ordnance and carriage though, which looks to be not appropriate for the carronade they are using.

6 hours ago, allanyed said:

Very nice display Ugo!!   Was the idea of an elevating wedge from the kit?   I had never before seen a British carronade with a wedge in  place of an elevation screw.  I checked all the carronade drawings in Caruana and Lavery's books and photos of contemporary models but none show a wedge, thus my question to you.  Hope you don't mind.

Thanks Ugo

Allan

Hello Allan, I made it stright from the Mantua box. However, I can see the same system on the carronade in the HSM Victory's 68lb display.
450px-hms_victory_68lb_carronade.png

as well as in another document found online as well
carronata_lusci.jpg

5 hours ago, Lieste said:

The carronades represented on Victory for example have a quoin under their quoin patch, but are also fitted for an elevation screw on the piece (this is missing from the ordnance and carriage though, which looks to be not appropriate for the carronade they are using.

I see, thanks a lot. So it's quite possible that MANTUA Models was misleaded by this HMS Victory display, incomplete. I can see now that the piece has an hole in it.
500?cb=20130625192109

Carronades evolved. They were in production for decades and made by many different foundries on different continents. The basic design was patented but certain features changed with time. You will find variations in the sights, quoins and the muzzle. If I may suggest, pick a carronade illustration that matches the profile of the barrel in the kit and make the details match.

There have been many nice models made from the Mantua kit, looking forward to seeing yours.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style