Mary Byrne by Chief Williams - Modellers Shipyard - Admiralty Model

I'm well into the build of this model, and although I intended to do a full build log, I held back because Rodger Dodger's log is a hard act to follow.  I thought I would just use this as an adjunct to his, showing some of my own ideas and techniques (If you don't mind Rodger?).

I wasn't too impressed with the colour of the plywood supplied with the kit, it was a bland, blond and looked nothing like what I imagined a real admiralty model would look like, so I decided to stain the frames and the keel.  I used Resene stains,  'Bark' for the frames, and 'Driftwood' for the keel and decks, both thinned 50/50 with water, and I intend to varnish the visible bits later with a satin polyurethane.  I've already tried this on the lower deck, and I'm quietly pleased with the effect.

1131202151_Sternandlowerdeck.JPG.34aae95b6cf3a17ef279aabb19f152ef.JPG

I was very conscious of Rodger's advice on getting frame 1 square and plumb, so after giving it some thought,  I decided to use a couple of techniques I'd picked up from other members here.  I used a pair of lego blocks, blu-tacked to the keel to get the frame square, and by rigging a line from the stem to stern posts, and marking the centre of the frame, I was able to sight down on to the frame, and get it plumb.  This took care of the pitch and yaw axes, but the roll axis I did by eye.  I would be very grateful of any advice people could give me on how to do this in future.

634689785_Fr01sidefront.JPG.1ff7292a2281eaedb5a0ef22e589e0c9.JPG

Unfortunately the photo I took of the centering line was too blurred to be on any use. (I never said I was a photographer!).  

I've used the spacing inserts extensively throughout the framing process, and it worked out quite well

562208688_FramesfromBow.JPG.03dcb660f2d6b6a327923df82742dcd9.JPG

as you can see from the above photo, the stern frames appear to be skewed to starboard, but after having a few heart attacks about this, I've found it was caused by a slight warping of the keel.  This will get fixed when the deck and whales are put on, at least that's what I'm telling myself.

I'll be getting on with the deck now and I'll report back on that later.  Oh, as a by the bye, I'm pleased with the kit so far, everything seems to fit, the instructions are superb, and it's been very enjoyable so far (my wife hasn't been subjected to any sailor's foul language, up to now anyway).  The only niggle I've got is the 5mm plywood does tend to de-laminate at times, which would need to be fixed if it's visible on the model.

I've got the deck on, but as I've already told Rodger (he's building the same model as me, but doing a far better job of it), I wish I had a tenth of his skill.

1382733940_Deckfrombow.jpg.bf9d6859fc93c2eca0c888c7aba2b8f2.jpg

1343683497_Deckfromabove.jpg.c254e831181e13d4848759b0f6d28d68.jpg

I appear to have fixed the slight warp in the frames, it was taken up by the deck as I thought it would be.  I've also got the lodging knees in which proved to be easier than I thought.  Next job is the planking.  If you need to see how this kit is done properly, have a look at https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29444-mary-byrne-1826-by-rodgerdodger-modellers-shipyard-admiralty-model/

I've fitted the first row of planks, but this has shown me that I don't have any clamps small enough to go between the frames to hold the planks on while they are being glued.  I'm going to put the project on hold until i can get hold of the right ones, but given the delay in post times due to the current lockdown, and the fact that I live at the end of the known world, i might have a bit of a wait.  The photos do show that I have a very scruffy workbench though.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't kept up with this as often as I should.  I thought that retirement would mean lots of time to get on with my ship modelling, but my Lady Wife amongst others has had more important calls on my time.  However, the build has gone on in the few odd minutes I got, as the photos below will show

1762853186_Bowtop.jpg.0785de3493ca8655ed5574b82e99d1c7.jpg

Here's the top of the bow showing the windlass, and all the other detail.  I wish I'd spent more time on the windlass.

Midships.jpg.13e2012098e7b6e74a50d9583b43baa7.jpg

And here's the midships detail.  I've just noticed that blob of glue on the companionway frame, that'll have to go.

Stern.jpg.e70906077000967643320e7f4c4e637f.jpg

and the stern detail.  the cocktail stick between the port mizzen bitts is only so I can get the alignment right.

1218884451_Portbow.jpg.1756e8d5a90fbb93613efb8ae34fbe66.jpg

and the view from the port bow.  I decided to use some 0.5 x 5 walnut strips I had left from a previous project, and use the scale length of the planks, as supplied to the original builder, which would probably have been 22 feet long, giving a scale length of 140mm.  (it's 1:48 scale).  But It doesn't look too good as you can see, so they are coming off and I'll have a re-think.  any suggestion will be gratefully received, but clean ones only please.

I'm going to start on the rudder now, and then the cap rails.  A month ago, I took delivery of my next kit, HMS Bellona from Corel, so I will be spending some time on that as well.  Look at the state of my workbench as well....

Edited by Chief Williams