HMS Spartiate by Admiral Beez - Heller - 1/150 - PLASTIC - kit-bashing the Heller Le Superbe

At your scale, the method of assembly of the ratlines themselves makes sense but how do you secure/wrap the shroud pairs around the mast?   What is the spacing from ratline to ratline?  

Many thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

At your scale, the method of assembly of the ratlines themselves makes sense but how do you secure/wrap the shroud pairs around the mast?   What is the spacing from ratline to ratline?  

Best I can tell there is no wrapping, instead the top of the shrouds are glued in place beneath the top platform.  I might add a little rope to appear that it's wrapped over the mast head.   The spacing from ratline to ratline is about 2.75 - 3 mm, which at 150 scale would put them at about 41 - 45 cm apart at full scale.    My one concern is getting the bottom of each shroud to line up with the matching line in the chain-whales, as they don't seem to line up with the holes, though the dead-eyes may hide any issues.

Posted (edited)

Shucks, I cut the top off the shrouds at the wrong spot, so there’s not enough material once I put the lowest rat line above the ship’s rail.   Also I don’t like the alignment of the shrouds to the chains.   Before I glue it again I’ll confirm the alignment.    So, we start again.  That’s okay, I call this the Learning Ship.

Edited by Admiral Beez

Maybe too late into your build with the masts made up. But looking at the way that machine works could you do both sides at once?

E.g. 

Lower mizzen shrouds onto mizzen mast looped over at the top . Then fix fighting top and topmast. Then repeat for topgallant mast.

Tom

16 hours ago, TomRigg said:

Maybe too late into your build with the masts made up. But looking at the way that machine works could you do both sides at once?

E.g. 

Lower mizzen shrouds onto mizzen mast looped over at the top . Then fix fighting top and topmast. Then repeat for topgallant mast.

Tom

I was thinking that too.  I have to cut the top in order to separate the two sides, but I can tie it together at the mast head.

17 hours ago, TomRigg said:

If you don't cut at position 'Z' in the instructions and loop that through below the fighting top would that do it?

Tom

I shall give that a go.  Before I string in the horizontal threads I will first check alignment with the holes in the chain whales.

Posted (edited)

Before I try the shroud tool again I've decided to install the deadeyes to the chain whales, so that they'll serve as a guide for shroud alignment.  

The deadeyes are all painted and clear coated.  The outward face has simulated rope, the backside is flat.   My plan is to glue the shrouds behind the deadeyes (as per the Heller instructions) and then paint the portion between the deadlines with the tan colour used for running rigging (see HMS Victory below).   At this scale I think I'll be happy with that.  

IMG_20240308_1013354.thumb.jpg.620528b9d14f3bd56e9d0ea5096dd31f.jpgIMG_20240308_1012565.thumb.jpg.69720f1552845b4d6f030ede01c7f4e7.jpg

a91724f7a4687d139665ed3cbe55e09e.jpg.641bc575fb7e1acd9f320d3d31e11dbf.jpg

Edited by Admiral Beez

• 1 month later...

I’ve decided to not use the Heller shroud tool and instead thread them myself.  Here’s today’s update.  Disregard the forestays, those are just temporary to prevent the shrouds from pulling the masts backwards during installation.

IMG_3113.jpeg

IMG_3114.jpeg

IMG_3115.jpeg

IMG_3116.jpeg

IMG_3117.jpeg

Edited by Admiral Beez