Which first, hull or deck

I build on a steamboat, the hull and the superstructure are largely white.
I'm thinking about which is best, to paint the hull first and lay and varnish the deck then or vice versa?
I think it might be best to paint the white first because the decks should not be painted and I do not want to get white paint on them.

image.png.b2ac8d6d13a53a1be005a3072688c9f6.png

Edited by ubjs

I'd suggest paint the hull first and then build the deck and fittings  and paint as you go on these items.   Do keep extra paint handy especially if you mix your own colors as normal handling while building my damage some paint and require a touch up.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Personally, I tend to leave painting to the very end in order to not damage the paintwork during the building process.

Other people paint as they go along, which perhaps also has motivational aspects, as you see something that looks like the finished model for a long time. In my case, the model may not look like much for a long time and then suddenly it emerges almost complete.

It also depends on the accessibility of areas to be painted and the possibility to mask-off areas to prevent paint (or a different colour) from getting to them.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg