Securing rigging to eyelets

DaveBaxt

I am just about ready to attach everything to the deck ( furhiture and fittings etc)including the copper eyelets to the deck. However the last time I did this I then had great difficulty attaching the rigging lines to these eyelets  and only managed to do a reef knot at best due to all the other deck furniture getting in my way.. This time I am thinking of drilling the holes in the appropriate places but leaving the eyelets out until after the rigging has been attached to them. Doing it this way will make it easier to carry out a proper seizing on the end before gluing the eyelet to the deck if this is indeed what is required

I am just wondering if anyone else is doing this or if not, what reasons are there for not doing it this way and are there any other better ways for proceeding with this? Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Hi Dave. 
At first thank you that you 're giving me the chance to point out again, the advantage of my tip of my way of seizing.
So to answer to your query my suggestion is go and see how I do my seizings there:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26297-a-way-of-seizing-my-way/?tab=comments#comment-764615

Then, place and secure your eyelet in its position and follow the stages in my sketch.

Eyelets.JPG.616c87623e111ac06633379f3eb0e7a7.JPG

After cutting the edges of all threads (last stage), you will have a tight rigging line with a decent seizing.
I hope you'll be helped.
Thx

1 hour ago, Thanasis said:

Hi Dave. 
At first thank you that you 're giving me the chance to point out again, the advantage of my tip of my way of seizing.
So to answer to your query my suggestion is go and see how I do my seizings there:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26297-a-way-of-seizing-my-way/?tab=comments#comment-764615

Then, place and secure your eyelet in its position and follow the stages in my sketch.

Eyelets.JPG.616c87623e111ac06633379f3eb0e7a7.JPG

After cutting the edges of all threads (last stage), you will have a tight rigging line with a decent seizing.
I hope you'll be helped.
Thx

Thank you for your prompt reply which is much appreciated and which is something I need to try. I am assuming  that it is just a normal wipping and then once done it would then just slide down the rigging line and then pulled tight. All excess lines could the be cut. I can appreciate that your idea look sand sounds simple and will give it a try,but I am still wondering if it would be easier to do this away from the model and securing the eyelet in its position after the rope is completed.Best regards Dave

Actually, I cannot think of too many places, where one would splice a rope directly into an eye-bolt like this on a prototype. When such eye-bolts came into use, at the same time shackles and metal thimbles in eye-splices also came into use. Or hooks were used to connect the eye-splices to the eye-bolts.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

@Dave. There'll always be a new-better idea.:)

Thx

45 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Actually, I cannot think of too many places, where one would splice a rope directly into an eye-bolt like this on a prototype. When such eye-bolts came into use, at the same time shackles and metal thimbles in eye-splices also came into use. Or hooks were used to connect the eye-splices to the eye-bolts.

Hooks sound like a good idea and something I could and probably will try this. I don,t think I have come across any eye splices yet but will take a nother look and see what I can find. But if I used these then again it would be easier if it was connect to the eyelet away from  model. Once again thank you for your input as it is always appreciated. Best regards Dave

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

I agree. The only places I can think of are sheets or braces for the lower yards/courses which sometimes were seized into ring bolts in the ships sides.

In any case, for any line spliced into an eye bolt, that will be the standing or fixed end of the line. You will probably have a tackle on the other end to set the line up taut. No need to do any fiddling or adjusting for length at the eyebolt end.

Go ahead and splice the line off the model and then insert the eyebolt into the hole.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci