2nd hand items

Hi, Mary-Ann. Sorry to hear about the loss of your relative. The easiest way to off-load a large quantity of modeling materials is to find a local club to donate them to (Google "ship modeling club" + the name of your nearest large city); clubs often auction off such things to raise funds. Another helpful tip would be to post pictures here, if you can obtain them -- these would be more likely to tempt local modelers.

Kind regards,

Chris

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Good Evening Mary-Ann;

As Chris said above, sorry for your loss. If it helps at all, in my experience all modellers would like to think that their carefully accumulated tools, and bits and bobs, would end up in the hands of someone who will use and appreciate them. If you can clarify what is included under the paraphernalia heading this would also help. Are there any kinds of power tools, for example. Unfortunately, in both England and Scotland, I believe, ship modelling clubs are not as common as they once were. However, I don't doubt that if you can supply a bit more detail of what is included, someone will be glad to have it. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

My condolences and thanks for trying to find a home the parts of hobby he was passionate about. 

Googling 'ship model club perthshire scotland' brought up several clubs, slightly farther afield but still somewhat local :
https://www.scotfishmuseum.org/model-boat-club.php
https://www.facebook.com/dundee.model.boats/
http://www.ayrmodelboatclub.org/Links.html
were some of the responses.

Mary-Ann,

The ship modelling club at Anstruther (as linked above) sounds like a good first bet. I believe it is linked to the Scottish Fisheries Museum. They have 25 members and seem quite active. Maybe drop them an email.

As has already been said ,I'm quite sure your relative would be happy that their tools etc to go to people with a similar mind set.

I hope it all works out OK for you.

Regards,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

So many thanks for all these kind replies and information, and yes, I wanted someone who would appreciate them to have the items, [also charity shops dont accept blades.... !] 

Have attached a pic. of the items below, I think.... Hopefully one can magnify to view better.  [Tech-dinosaur here!]

Only 'power tool' seems to be the refining 'sanding' tool and very neat attachments, in the grey case. 

Will also contact the links so kindly supplied.

yours gratefully

M-ACbits and pieces for ship modelling