Mouse on Cutter Stay

Alex M

Hi all,

I kmow that common practice by Cutters was eye splice, but as I have seen two original models with a mouce, just a question...

Alex

Edited by Alex M

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Goodwin shows a mouse on Alert in his AOTS..

He references a rigged model, Hawke, but I can't tell from the images if the mouse is on the model..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody knows? @tkay11, You has a lot of images from Cutters in the Gallery, kan You probably answer?

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Sorry, @Alex M. Looking at my photos, if there was a mouse on the Hawke it was hidden by the sails. And I have no recollection of noticing one. An 1820 unnamed cutter clearly did not have one. But a cutter from 1763 did have one, as did the 1790 Trial. Of course, these were just contemporary models and just a tiny sample, which may not be definitive, but it seems the practice varied.

Tony

Thank you Tony! If you mean this Cutter: https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-66471 , it is not contemporary, but build ca 1940.

Alex

Banner_AKHS.png

@Alex M: All of the model photos I showed from my visit to Chatham were contemporary. The one you linked to wasn't one of them.

Tony