Rattlesnake by Oldsalt1950 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Finally something to show. The exterior gunwale planking is almost completed. Will then add the cut outs for the sweep ports and sheaves, drill the holes for the scuppers and mark out the aft quarter light which is replacing the Britannia quarter light fitting. Attempted making the fancy molding ends, not happy with them, but may have a work around that will be easier. considering you have to round off a piece that is only 5/32nds square. Perhaps a dowel considering it is getting painted any way. Once the interior bulkhead is planked I'll be adding some color just to see what the ship is starting to look like. The current assembly has a bit of weight to it.

Hull planking.jpg

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

A little heads-up to anyone about to build or thinking of building Ms's Rattlesnake. If you have read any of the build logs you know about all of us breaking the cross timbers on the forward and aft bulkheads. Decide ahead of time if you are going to install and rig cannons in all the gun ports. If not then place a piece of scrap across the knock outs in the aft bulkheads except for the most forward one. That knock out will be used for what would be the removable bulkhead. That bulkhead also needs to be built up and detailed and installed prior to planking the upper bulwarks or it is going to be difficult to put in place. With a little work, you can use the knock out for the removable bulkhead, but take into account the deck planking and waterway as you shape it.

18Th Century Longboat

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress on planking. I am now at the point where each new strake will need to be spilled its entire length. Once that is finished the task of filling and sanding will begin and perhaps a little color added to the hull.

hullside.jpg

hullbot.jpg

18Th Century Longboat

The one step forward two steps back dance is in full swing. I wasn't happy with the way the hull planking was laying, so off came the strakes. A bit more sanding on the bow fillers, and a bit of sanding along the rabbet and bearding line. Because I use PVA glue, removal wasn't hard and I just have to clean up the residual glue on everything and it is back to planking the hull. I may take another look at plank layout and see if by shaving just a bit off each plank I can get away without adding any stealers into the hull. It is a good thing that wood is forgiving.

18Th Century Longboat

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Due to the controversy surrounding ME selling pirated ship kits, I will not be updating this build log. The Rattlesnake is not such a kit, but I cannot in good conscience continue to post any progress made on a kit manufactured by a company that is selling pirated kits.

Jim

18Th Century Longboat

Jim,

I respect your decision, much as I disagree with it. If we were take this approach (that many here have done) and apply it to everything in life… Brother, we’d be living a very different life. I know a topic like this could go politically terminal in no time, don’t want that. We’ve beat this dead horse pretty good I think. 

Respectfully, 

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Dave, during my 20 years in service I was known pretty much as a hard ***. I wouldn't compromise my principals regardless the outcome. If nothing else, it earned me respect from my subordinates and superiors. We have kind of beaten this horse to death in some respects, but there comes a point where you have to make a stand. I have a number of ME kits awaiting build, and I will build them, however I will not do a build log because of Mr. Mosko's stance regarding the ZHL "Black Pearl" and will not do business with him until such time as he stops doing business with ZHL.

Jim

Edited by Oldsalt1950

18Th Century Longboat