Rattlesnake by Oldsalt1950 - Model Shipways - 1:64

There is definitely some tricky work to getting the fairing right. I think I have the external okay, will see when I proceed to planking. I settled on a 4-pane window myself, took the frame and design from the plan set for the rigging but without the heavy top bar across the frame. Measurements are 10x10mm at 82 degrees of rake, frame with of 1mm for frame and stiles. Will make it 1/16 thick so it is barely proud of the planking. Will do it sandwich style by using some 1/32 sheet material. The knightheads took some work, lots of filing to get them through that tiny hole.

windows.jpg

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

I'm still fighting with the gunports. I'm going to try a different approach from what I have been doing hopefully it will work. I have plenty of time and want them to look right. Found out I still need to take some material off the blocks in the bow. A sanding we will go. Two steps forward, three steps back. 😅

18Th Century Longboat

Progress on the Rattlesnake has been painfully slow, nothing of note to show, but I did make some new jigs to build gunports. I have one to glue up the ports themselves and keep everything square and another so i will have a consistent reveal around the open ports. Now to build the ports and mount them so I can get on with planking and get the semblance of a ship on the building ways. I'm getting tired of seeing a skeleton every time I look at the workbench. 

18Th Century Longboat

• 3 weeks later...

I've been going over the various build logs and the plans. Have decided that I need to replace most of the lumber and fittings that came with the kit. Constructing the gunport frames is what led to this decision. Now it is a waiting game on having the money for what I need. I'm looking at using Alaskan Yellow Cedar for most of the lumber, and square stock Pear for the masts. Fittings such as deadeyes and blocks will be boxwood and a lot of Syren rope.

18Th Century Longboat

Hey Jim,

Suspected the same thing regarding materials. I thought we’d have better from Model Shipways. I have a list started and will follow what you discover and do. 👍

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I'm replacing all the rope, the deadeyes, the blocks, and wood strips withe the exception of the 1/8x1/8x24 strip used for the waterway. I may replace all the cannons and carriages too. The large hearts and the cleats will be replaced. Transom carving will be made from Sculpty. Basically the only casting I won't replace is the figurehead at the moment, but that is subject to change too. It is going to be a long slow build, but worth every penny and all the time.

18Th Century Longboat

Worked on the ships boat. Having said that, I have to get a new one from ME. Sanded through the side in a few places. I may just purchase a kit, as looking at the kit provided boat it seems a little oversized to me. Decisions, decisions. Still going over the lumber list and will be making my masts and yardarms from square stock. Should be challenging but rewarding. I don't have a lathe, and can't see a justification for buying one. Doing it by hand also gives me more control over the process.

18Th Century Longboat

FWIW There is an issue of the Nautical Research Journal with a very comprehensive article by Hahn about his model of Rattlesnake.  What you may find particularly interesting are a series of pictures of his carving of the figure head, which is a pretty good rendition of the NMM drawings.  I'm sorry I don't know the issue number, but someone at the NRG should be able to help you find it if interested.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

40 minutes ago, Gregory said:

FWIW There is an issue of the Nautical Research Journal with a very comprehensive article by Hahn about his model of Rattlesnake.  What you may find particularly interesting are a series of pictures of his carving of the figure head, which is a pretty good rendition of the NMM drawings.  I'm sorry I don't know the issue number, but someone at the NRG should be able to help you find it if interested.

I’d like some of that action. 😀

Dave

I think what you want is Issue 39..

Index to journals and articles are found here..

https://thenrg.org/journal/issue-index

― Jimmy Buffett

16 hours ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

I may just purchase a kit, as looking at the kit provided boat it seems a little oversized to me.

The 26' boat from Vanguard might be a good option.

Crafty Sailor ( that I linked to) is a great source for hooks, eyebolts and other fittings.  Reasonable prices and fast reasonably priced shipping.

Edited by Gregory

― Jimmy Buffett

That would be a lot closer to scale. The kit provided boat is 5 3/4 inches long not counting the rudder. Once again thanks Gregory.

18Th Century Longboat

Hi Jim,

I'm going to follow your Rattlesnake build.  I am about a month away from completing Bluenose I, Canadian fishing schooner from Model Shipways.  If I do, it will end up taking me 2 years to complete it.  Rattlesnake is on the shelf for my next build.  I'm looking forward to digging into your build log to learn the "do's and don'ts".  Did you purchase any practicums for your build?

Thanks,

Ed 

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"

No, I didn't purchase any practicums. I did a lot of digging into others build logs with pencil and paper in hand taking down notes. Read and reread the building manual. There is a lot to take in on the build and take your time looking over the parts and plans, I would strongly suggest making a copy of the plans, unless you have a light table. Templates will be your friend for parts of the construction. I have a glass topped drafting table, so I didn't need to copy the plans.

18Th Century Longboat

The stand I plan to use for Rattlesnake arrived today. Now to decide which design I am using and then cobble it up and put it together. It is the ME "building ways".

18Th Century Longboat

16 hours ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

The stand I plan to use for Rattlesnake arrived today. Now to decide which design I am using and then cobble it up and put it together. It is the ME "building ways".

Picture when you get it together. I’m still in the hunt for one.

Dave

I mentioned above about the NRG article concerning the Hahn model.

My recent research uncovered this page:

Hahn's Rattlesnake

Which has all the pictures of the figurehead carving steps..

I think that site has some relationship to the Hahn estate, so the private use of the images should be on the up-and-up..

― Jimmy Buffett

Great images of the figurehead. I can work with that, thanks Gregory.

18Th Century Longboat

4 hours ago, Gregory said:

I mentioned above about the NRG article concerning the Hahn model.

My recent research uncovered this page:

Hahn's Rattlesnake

Which has all the pictures of the figurehead carving steps..

I think that site has some relationship to the Hahn estate, so the private use of the images should be on the up-and-up..

My next build is the Rattlesnake. Right now, I’m looking into purchasing the CD from NRG that has a good amount of Rattlesnake data. Where did you get this? Super photos. Thank you. 👍

Dave

Gregory dug it up. I think he's building a 1/48th scale rattlesnake for the ME plans.

18Th Century Longboat

Hi Jim,

I feel your pain about replacing the wood and fittings. I've not worked on my Rattlesnake build for a while due to other things going on, but I'm back at it now. Basswood is a pain to work with. Since I'm painting mine, I'm going to keep the basswood except for the deck, fittings, masts, and spars. I did my best to carve some scrollwork on the covering boards but it is not great; basswood just isn't up to the task. I'll hope to make a quick update to my log today.

I probably should have gone your route and replace all of the wood. 

John

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

My lumber order from Modelers Sawmill came in and I've just finished storing it away in cardboard mailing tubes. I'll now be able to get on with the build after taking some measurements. I have been carefully inspecting the work completed and see I still need to do some sanding on the bow filler blocks and that the transom area needs a bit of filling and sanding. I will also need to place another lumber order in the future and also purchase some items from Syren Ship Model Company. I did discover an easy way to make the sheaves for Rattlesnake using some of the blocks I 'm replacing. They just need to be squared up an additional hole drilled in them and thinned a bit.  I decided I will scrap the dowels supplied in the kit for masts, and make mine from square stock, more on that when i get to that point in the build. 

18Th Century Longboat

Removed the forecastle coverboard and knightheads to be able to better shape the bow filler pieces. Finally have them shaped as I'd like. I'm using a piece of .1x.25" Evergreen plastic to check fairing and things look nice. Still have the forward pieces of the waterways to install. They are currently being bent to shape, which is a long slow process due to their thickness.

18Th Century Longboat

Forecastle coverboard and knighthead reattached. Worked on transom gingerbread with the following results, the piece was spread with the help of some clamps and some final trimming will need to be done around the edges.

Transom.jpg

18Th Century Longboat

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to have some pictures of the progress I made on the build, but after looking at the few gunports I assembled I decided to regroup and figure out a better way of doing things. I took some measurements and installed the upper Wale and the garboard strake. It was then that the light came on. There is no need to cut measure and fit so many pieces for the gunports and oar ports and try to get them to line up, which usually leads to one port in the line being a bit off. The lower sill or stile for the gunport is two strakes above the wale. The gunport opening is 3 strakes high the opening for the oar port is square and the size of a strake. Now i can just plank the area above the wale by indicating where the ports go and plank around the openings and add what timber is needed to frame the opening. Everything will be in line with the wale line easy as pie. Then I do the same thing with the interior planks when done. No more playing around trying to align everything. 

18Th Century Longboat