Hey There! After a lengthy pause (which was filled by other non-shipbuilding projects) I've pulled out the Dragen from Billings. The level of difficulty was the reason I started the Will Evered. I'm just going through the parts now, and looking at the plans. I've also taken a look at the other builds of the same boat. When building the Will, I often complained about the lack of detail in the plans, and didn't think it possible that any other model would have even LESS information. I was wrong. The building plans for the Dragen leave even more to the imagination!

Even more benefits of a detailed build log then😀 Maybe you can blaze a trail for others to follow. Looking forward to see what you will do with it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I've been given a very old Billings dragon kit that's missing various bits. Very interested in the detail you've shown. The mahogany strips and sheets for cutting out supplied are very brittle and its going to be a real challenge to make even a reasonable job. I'm doing a Yorkshire One Design model for a friend who had one. It is a smaller but similar boat to the Dragon but I've only got the plans and I'm finding it a challenge too !! One question is  about the planking. Earlier in your log you said that you were using narrower planks than those supplied. Is that the case with the photo above where the keel is red. There are two real wooden dragons here in Granton harbour and their  planking is definitely narrower. You have five strakes from gunnel to water line. I'm down tomorrow to scrub our boat's bottom so I'll have a look to count them and let you know if you are interested. A piccy is possible.

Half_Planked[1].jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 9:45 PM, bagpiperuler said:

I've been given a very old Billings dragon kit that's missing various bits. Very interested in the detail you've shown. The mahogany strips and sheets for cutting out supplied are very brittle and its going to be a real challenge to make even a reasonable job. I'm doing a Yorkshire One Design model for a friend who had one. It is a smaller but similar boat to the Dragon but I've only got the plans and I'm finding it a challenge too !! One question is  about the planking. Earlier in your log you said that you were using narrower planks than those supplied. Is that the case with the photo above where the keel is red. There are two real wooden dragons here in Granton harbour and their  planking is definitely narrower. You have five strakes from gunnel to water line. I'm down tomorrow to scrub our boat's bottom so I'll have a look to count them and let you know if you are interested. A piccy is possible.

Half_Planked[1].jpg

The full sized wooden dragons here in Granton have nine strakes between gunnel and waterline and they all seem to have very little taper from midships to bow and stern. One of them is a Petersen and the other is a Borresen. The former has lap joints and the other is scarphed.

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2022 at 8:56 PM, Jayhawk said:

Hey There! After a lengthy pause (which was filled by other non-shipbuilding projects) I've pulled out the Dragen from Billings. The level of difficulty was the reason I started the Will Evered. I'm just going through the parts now, and looking at the plans. I've also taken a look at the other builds of the same boat. When building the Will, I often complained about the lack of detail in the plans, and didn't think it possible that any other model would have even LESS information. I was wrong. The building plans for the Dragen leave even more to the imagination!

Try Mamoli, must be the worst there is. Not only is the lack of instruction bad but there is not even enough wood in the kit.