ships longboat by iaincwil - FINISHED

this is the first time that I have attempted plank on frame build, usualy I carve the hull shape from a block then fit keel and planking, then carve as much as I can from inside until I can see a light through, this project has taught me a lot,

first I think I have the pics in the wrong order but here goes first I cut out each frame using a fret saw the where the slots were on the kit I drilled a small hole at each end and cut it with "ya guesed it a jigsaw" 

I cut out the keel and false keel glued it up then started fitting the frames using the jig shown it makes the job much easier,

then came the planking well I dont need to say much about that there are enough articles on planking out there, next the fitting out the inside some bits are quite fidjety for my sausages but I manage,

I made the mast and other spars from beech bbq sticks run them in my dremmel to get the taper, I drilled a hole in a scrap of wood held it in the vice and run the dremmel then used a sharp knife to take of the thickest and finished with a few different grades of wet and dry paper,

post-699-0-37814200-1361110432_thumb.jpg

post-699-0-39947700-1361110467_thumb.jpg

post-699-0-40085600-1361110545_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will make another one now but using english boxwood and holly if I can get it milled, thing is we need a new bandsaw blade its been well used! not much good for any fine work also the thicknesser will need a touch up on the oil stone,

aint winter a bitch!!!!!!!!!

Ian? I like the model and am looking forward to seeing the one in Boxwood.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.