help with Corel Mystique running rigging

Help! SOS!!

I have just completed the Corel Mystique up to now having to do the running rigging, but cannot fathom the plans, where the lines begin and end after spending days trying to make sense of it all. I complete all my ships without the sails making matters worse!

Is there ANYONE out there who could help or advise me on how to fathom the nightmarish plans??

Much appreciated folks!

Edite

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

Nice model!

normally Corel has a rather basic numbering system, showing what goes where. Not easy to follow, but it leaves little to guess (only number matching)

As soon as I understood the system, it worked like a charm.

can you give a pic of the plans, that might help in finding the solution to your problem(s)

Jan

Welcome to MSW Ed

It  would be a polite thing if you would post an  introduction on the new member forum with a little about yourself.

Using your name as your subject here gives no clue as to what you need so maybe consider renaming it to something like Xebec rigging problems.

Have you done any research outside the kit on xebec rigging plans? There are a number of excellent books on rigging but I don't know if any relate to a French xebec.  Frolich's book for one may be of help to you.   There was a post on xebec rigging problems here at MSW in 2015 and other build logs on xebecs here that may help.

Rigging without sails should make things much easier for you.  Because there is no woven cloth in existence or sewing methods that are to scale for smaller than about 1:24, unless using non-woven materials and no sewing, it is best to leave them off anyway as they ruin otherwise fine models if being to scale is considered important.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Edite,

First off, beautifully done model! Corel's Misticque has always been a favorite of mine, in terms of appearance. I haven't built it, but your build is pretty inspiring. It is a subject that's on my ever-expanding to-do list.

I do have the plans set for the model, and I see nothing in the plans at all that indicate the belaying points of any of the lines. So, this is a bit of a mystery, and your call for help is completely understandable. Some lines appear to be numbered, but there's nothing in the plans that show where they specifically tie off.

Alan's suggestion for a book on xebec rigging might be one possibility, though I've never personally seen a book specifically on xebec rigging. Also, since the Misticque is not a pure xebec, but rather a pollaca xebec, that complicates thing further.

However, many people have built this kit, and they managed with the rigging somehow. So, I'd suggest checking for build logs here, and maybe contacting them directly with this question.

Last note. I lost my instruction booklet, so I can't check that. But, is there a possibility that there is some small diagram in it, possibly at the back, that shows some kind of belaying plan?

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

• 3 weeks later...

Well, not that this will help Edite any, as he was only online here for about 2 weeks. But, I managed to find my instruction booklet, and it does in fact have a basic description of belaying points. Takes a little understanding of basic nautical terms as there are no diagrams, just text.

So, for what it's worth, there ya go...

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

• 1 year later...

One thing of note: Check if HiSModel has a rigging plan for the kit. Most widely available kits are listed on the site, and they make their own plans for a lot of the plastic kits, even the obscure ones. I wouldn't be surprised if custom plans exist for the Mystique, and if not, they likely exist for a similar Pollaca Xebec.